Overview & Responsibilities:
CBS Sports is looking for an experienced editorial leader with proven storytelling judgment who is passionate and knowledgeable about sports content that is sensitive to, reflective of, and drives progress forward on issues related to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, and other cultural touch points. The Director will be a primary contributor to our Race & Culture Unit's editorial guidance -- working closely with the Senior Director of the Race & Culture Unit, the VP of News & Editorial, the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB) Officer, and all Editorial units -- to ensure CBS Sports content, from planning through production, is developed, examined, and carry out with a DEIB lens. As a leading member of the Race & Culture Unit, the Director must cultivate strong, effective partnerships with contributors throughout the CBS Sports division, and beyond, to find opportunities, and help to develop and produce content at the intersection of sport, race, and culture. The Director will be responsible for growing the relationship with CBS Sports' Social and Digital Units. The Director will assist the Senior Director providing story ideas, feedback in edit process, and script and content review for all platforms. The Director will provide editorial support for major events coverage and weekly and daily sports coverage.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Be a catalyst for brainstorming, sharing, reviewing, news gathering, promoting and creating content that is sensitive to, reflective of, and driven to making progress on issues in sports related to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, and other cultural touch points.
• Specialize in content development and storytelling involving the subjects of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, and other culture-based topics within sports.
• Use deep sports knowledge, an insatiable curiosity and sound news judgment, to support storytelling that is timely, relevant, innovative and inclusive.
• Must be skilled at identifying news and emerging storylines; gathering ideas and contextualize information for potential storytelling to enhance and support coverage across CBS Sports.
• Identify opportunities for the Race & Culture unit to ensure a diverse and inclusive approach to storytelling and coverage on all CBS Sports platforms.
• Serve as a representative of the Race & Culture unit to cultivate strong and effective partnerships with teams throughout CBS Sports, and other similarly situated groups across Paramount Global.
• Take part in the ongoing editorial process to provide a DEIB lens when reviewing shows and content. Review content from initial draft to final element, and provide feedback to production leaders across studio and game productions.
• Partner with existing teams to ensure our content is intentional, inclusive, fair & accurate, and helps position CBS Sports as a leader in storytelling involving subjects of race, culture, diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Discover connections between our events and current storylines; and then provide ideas for how to tell those stories within our games and studio shows. This may include suggesting and gathering elements, potential guests, and details on alternative angles to enhance the telling of those stories.
• Demonstrate a strong understanding of sports media production, including knowledge of successful content creation for television, digital video, or similar programming
• Brainstorm and develop ideas for daily storytelling; define and implement (in partnership with relevant teams) major initiatives that navigate the intersection of sports, DEIB and civil engagement.
• Develop, shape and help to guide all aspects of story production, including: research, story development, script writing & copy editing, crafting packages, segments and special content.
• Brainstorm and develop ideas for Affinity Months, and work closely with DEIB team to ensure Production, Programming, Talent, Communications, Marketing and others are aware of and able to contribute to DEIB company priorities and content initiatives.
• Offer creative and innovative ideas for more diverse and inclusive storytelling; recognize and help others develop pitches with high potential for compelling and comprehensive storytelling through a DEIB lens.
• Must be knowledgeable about past and current news events and able to identify future newsworthy pegs for coverage and content related to and reflective of topics of race, culture and sport.
• Excellent working knowledge of and interest in multiple sports, especially NFL, college football, college basketball, golf and soccer.
• The ideal candidate is passionate and knowledgeable about sports and storytelling, and enthusiastic about contributing to and committed to elevating the CBS Sports brand.
• Demonstrate a deep sports knowledge along with strong research techniques and editorial standards to generate and support ideas with relationship to sporting events, breaking sports news and other developments in the sports world.
• History of working collaboratively across departments with peers and colleagues to advance content and coverage, and mentoring a diverse group of employees
• Demonstrated exceptional editorial judgment and understanding of broadcast production
• Proven ability at writing, editing and honing scripts and produced pieces even under deadline.
• Must be able to effectively develop ideas, handle story assignments and collaborate in guiding other contributors.
• Must have experience performing well under pressure, including a proven track record of pushing others to excel, even up against deadlines for air.
• Must excel at establishing and cultivating relationships and thrive in a team-oriented environment
• Must demonstrate outstanding communication skills and attention to detail
• Passion for and commitment to identifying, pitching and developing diverse & inclusive storytelling
• Organized and efficient; creative and innovative; curious and tenacious; collaborative and assertive.
• Demonstrates strong sports knowledge, and enthusiasm for sports as a reflection of and outlet for issues across society at large
• Ability to work nights and weekends
• 8+ years of relevant work experience in content creation, journalism, production or related areas.
• Bachelor's degree preferred
• Prior experience focused on DEIB and/or Sports is a plus!
CBS Sports, a year-round leader in cross-platform sports coverage, broadcasts a portfolio of events on the CBS Television Network, including THE NFL ON CBS; college football, including the SEC ON CBS; college basketball, including the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship; golf, including The Masters®, PGA Championship and PGA TOUR; soccer, including the UEFA Champions League and NWSL; and CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR.
In addition, the division includes CBS SPORTS NETWORK, the 24-hour cable home of CBS Sports which televises live sports programming throughout the year, including college football and basketball games, UEFA Champions League and Europa League action, Italy's Serie A matches, Concacaf national team competitions, as well as a full slate of original programming and studio coverage.
CBS Sports also delivers an extensive lineup of global soccer coverage on Paramount+, includin
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2e63y-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.