Interested in joining the team? The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a New York-based LINE PRODUCER to join its 24-hour coverage team.
The ideal candidate is proactive, creative and editorially rigorous. They will demonstrate a firm command of journalistic standards, a keen attention to detail, and excellent news gathering and visual storytelling skills. They must also be calm and efficient during breaking news and, while based in New York, serve as a collaborative member of a global news organization.
All applicants will be reviewed and considered for current and near-future openings.
• Work closely with the executive producer & supervising producer in a fast-paced, demanding environment, handling breaking news and news-of-day demands for a 24-hour digital news channel
• Line produce editorial news content, shape show flow and stack elements in the rundown
• Work from the control room to guide shows in and out of breaks and to navigate both live and recorded content, including helping to determine when it will run in future hours
• Partner with assignment desk and booking team to request correspondents and live interview guests
• Order informative graphics and utilize compelling video to create engaging news programs
• Distribute assignments and direct a team of writers, associate producers and digital associates to build original content as well as edit and repurpose content from broadcast and other content partners
• Write teases, headlines, opening package and readers for live programming, including story slugs and lower-third banners
• Generate story ideas for future coverage
• Assign and record swap content for automated software wheel
• Monitor and take newsworthy live events to air in the control room
• Communicate with anchors, correspondents and control room team ahead of and during live shows, exhibiting a calm and professional demeanor in high pressure situations
• Serve as a mentor to junior writers
• Coordinate with sales department to implement accurate ad loads in rundowns
• May also perform the responsibilities of content producers, producers, associate producers and digital associates, as needed
Skills and experience:
• At least five years of experience producing and writing copy for a national broadcast, cable or streaming network, or equivalent local TV news experience in a major market
• Command of AP style and broadcast writing with impeccable grammar and spelling
• Strong communication skills and ability to train and advise associate producers, production assistants and junior staff in writing and editing broadcast copy
• Deep understanding for editorial production, including control room experience, with strong writing and copy editing skills
• Detail oriented with ability to work in fast-paced environment, deal with intense deadlines and continually react to breaking news with factual programming and creative storytelling
• Broad knowledge of top stories driving the news cycle, including political news, and a knack for identifying lesser-known angles that resonate with audiences
• Ability to multi-task and handle multiple assignments for regular programming as well as rolling breaking news coverage
• Superior news judgment & critical thinking skills
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent education in journalism or related field
• Fluency using ENPS is a must
• Deep understanding of news standards, rights and clearances and fact-checking practices
• Must pass comprehensive CBS News Digital writing test
• Must be available to work all shifts - early morning, dayside, nights, weekends and holidays - sometimes on short notice or as coverage, scheduling and news events warrant, as this is a 24-hour news organization
• This position is based in New York and requires working in-person at the CBS Broadcast Center
Hiring Salary Range: $87,000.0 - 120,000.0.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk80p0-3-231-217-107-42 in your application.