Investigative News Producer
New York, NY
CBS News is the news and information division of CBS, dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. Headquartered in the famed CBS Broadcast Center in New York, CBS News has bureaus across the globe and produces influential, critically acclaimed programs providing original reporting, interviews, investigations, analysis and breaking news 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
CBS News provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSN, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and CBS Mobile. CBS News is home to the nation's #1 news program, ''60 MINUTES,'' ''CBSN,'' the 24/7 digital streaming news network, and the award-winning broadcasts ''CBS THIS MORNING,'' co-hosted by Gayle King, Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil, the ''CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL,'' ''CBS SUNDAY MORNING, ''48 HOURS,'' ''CBS THIS MORNING: SATURDAY,'' and ''FACE THE NATION.''
As a Senior Producer, you will work collaboratively with the Executive Producer, Senior Broadcast Producer, Anchor and the other senior producers to determine and carry out the editorial direction for the broadcast each day, helping to shape the rundown and coordinate the stories that will air that evening. Each day you will work with correspondents, tape producers, field producers and editors to craft accurate, urgent, up-to-date and interesting news packages and live shots. The position requires strong news judgment, experience managing teams and the ability to thrive under pressure.
Our ideal candidate has several years of experience as a senior producer at a national news broadcast as well as experience working successfully in the field and the edit suite reporting, writing and honing hard-hitting news stories and heartwarming news features. You are an exceptional writer, editor and ''script doctor'' (even under deadline) and you remain calm under pressure. You are driven to help others succeed. You are not afraid to push others to excel, even if it means making changes up until air. You are organized and efficient, but also creative and enthusiastic. You enjoy collaborating with your colleagues, are capable of multi-tasking and make good decisions quickly and under pressure. You see the importance of and embrace cultural differences in the newsroom and have a track record of mentoring a diverse group of young employees.
• Develop ideas for daily stories and future news content
• Manage all aspects of daily broadcast story production, including: story selection, guest booking, crafting news packages, live and remote location selection, copy writing/editing and graphics
• Provide editorial and production guidance and direction to correspondents, field teams, tape producers and editors, as well as coordinate all aspects of story development, scheduling and budgeting
• Supervise, shape and edit broadcast package and live scripts
• Communicate and coordinate effectively with staff members, bureau chiefs, desk editors and others to launch pieces and coordinate troop movements
• Identify and mentor junior staff members, with an eye to helping them grow as journalists and advance in their careers
• Experience as a senior news producer, supervising producer or coordinating producer at a major broadcast or cable news network
• Demonstrated ability to make editorial decisions under time pressure, while overseeing all aspects of production
• Ability to recognize news stories that have a high potential of becoming compelling television pieces
• Deep knowledge of current events, politics, national and international news
• Exceptional understanding of broadcast news production
• Experience writing and editing package and live scripts for broadcast television
• Outstanding organizational, time-management and planning skills
• Experience working closely with high profile anchors and correspondents in high-stress environments
• Proven track record of remaining cool and thinking quickly while under pressure
• Previous experience working in a live control room
• In-depth understanding of social media and digital content strategy
• History of working collaboratively across departments with peers and colleagues to advance the interests of a news broadcast
• Must be able to work long hours and/or an extended schedule as the news cycle and deadlines require
• Willingness to travel, often with little notice, for breaking news or to establish remote broadcasts
• A bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field of study is preferred (or equivalent experience)
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy7boq-3-236-117-38-42 in your application.
Original reporting and trusted news with content and perspective found nowhere else.