Overview & Responsibilities:
CBS News is seeking an Executive Editor, to build and lead the CBS News Confirmed team. This team will be pivotal in ensuring truth in our storytelling and providing the highest journalistic standards. This is a critical leadership role accountable for coordinating and managing the detection, analysis, and debunking of deepfake content and other forms of misinformation.
Reporting into the Senior Vice President, Standards & Practices, the Executive Editor will be skilled in developing teams, news editing, social media verification, debunking online misinformation, reporting and digital media production. They will carry out and oversee political fact-checking; data analysis; and open-source intelligence investigations, debunking misinformation on a range of global issues from politics to economics and health.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Lead and develop a team of data journalists, political fact checkers, and verification producers, ensuring high-quality analysis and debunking of deepfake content and other forms of misinformation.
• Develop and implement strategies to detect and identify deepfake content, using advanced technologies and techniques.
• Launching a half hour show for the CBS News Streaming Network.
• Collaborate with experts to develop tools and methodologies for deepfake detection and analysis.
• Stay informed about emerging technologies, digital manipulation techniques, and emerging trends in misinformation
• Provide guidance and support to journalists in identifying and verifying deepfake content, conducting investigations, and debunking false information.
• Edit and review investigative reports and debunking articles, ensuring accuracy, clarity, and adherence to journalistic standards.
• Manage resources to meet pressure driven deadlines for air.
• Minimum of 15+ years' experience as a multiplatform producer within news or factual content
• Minimum of 5 years' experience in daily news production
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, or equivalent
• Demonstrated leadership and management of journalists at all levels.
• Understanding of digital manipulation techniques, emerging technologies, and journalistic ethics.
• Superior writing, editing and data verification skills – doing so while under deadline pressure, for short turnaround news broadcast items.
• Deep understanding of how to leverage research, analytics, and verification systems to tell stories.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced newsroom setting and adjust smoothly to changing assignments.
• Ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact and discretion.
• Strong writing, grammar and AP style background.
• Proven ability to exercise strong news judgment and instincts.
Hiring Salary Range: $230,000.00 - 260,000.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is bonus eligible.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7o6ep-44-212-94-18-42 in your application.