Broadcast Associate- Evening News
New York, NY
Seeking a smart, creative, and enthusiastic Editorial Producer with strong story development and booking skills. This Editorial Producer pitches new stories, follows leads, gathers elements (both traditional news gathering and social media mining), books guests for live or tape segments, conducts pre-interviews, and facilitates logistics on a wide variety of stories including breaking news, feature stories, politics, foreign relations, consumer, business, and medical news.
Candidates must have strong editorial skills and an extensive rolodex, as well as highly developed relationship-building skills. The ideal candidate is able to take initiative by making calls and can demonstrate proof of performance on past news stories. This position requires high energy and persistence, as well as an understanding of TV newsgathering and transmission technology. The ability to effectively communicate with affiliates and their newsroom managers, network broadcast managers, and producers in other regions is essential. Candidates must be flexible with travel requirements and changing schedules as the position will, at times, require going to remote locations on short notice where breaking news is unfolding. This role will be preferably based in Chicago, but open to NYC, Atlanta and DC.
• 5+ years producing experience in a professional newsroom is preferred.
• Must have solid news judgment and experience chasing breaking news.
• Mastery of the broadcast newsgathering process is preferred; basic knowledge is required.
• Field experience is strongly preferred.
• Strong research skills including working with public and private records databases, such as Lexis Nexis, is required.
• Must be an excellent writer with well-developed oral communication skills, especially when working on sensitive stories.
• Must be able to juggle and prioritize multiple stories with different deadlines: short, medium, and long-term.
• Must have the ability to manage ongoing relationships with external contributors, news outlets and other stakeholders.
• Must be a team player with a positive attitude.
• Experience supporting newsgathering teams in the field using solid news judgment and leadership skills is a plus.
• Thrives in high-pressure and time-critical situations.
• Degree in broadcast journalism or related field is preferred.
• Passion for news, journalism, and storytelling is required.
• Must be willing and able to work occasional overnight and/or weekend shift
Original reporting and trusted news with content and perspective found nowhere else.