Broadcast Associate - Face The Nation
CBS News seeks an innovative and experienced journalist to lead its dynamic Washington, DC bureau, which encompasses coverage on and the U.S. federal government agencies including:, the President and the White House, Congress, The Pentagon, The CIA, national security, politics, and national elections. The Bureau Chief has the essential responsibility of collaborating across the CBS News broadcasts with executive producers, Washington correspondents and others to facilitate the gathering, reporting and producing of compelling news stories. The selected candidate will be a hands-on leader, fully engaged in motivating the CBS News' Washington based journalists along with the entire production and technical teams. The Bureau Chief will lead a team of top tier journalists as they break news, pursue and deliver investigative stories.
The Bureau Chief should have experience in evaluating talent and creating opportunities for both career development and advancement at all levels of the Bureau and CBS News as a whole. He/she must be able to create an inclusive environment that leverages all network resources in this effort. The Bureau Chief has to establish strong ties across divisions within the organization to ensure collaboration in efforts to tell stories that reach and significantly impact our audiences. The Chief will engage in recruiting and networking efforts that help create a bureau that reflects the diversity of our audience.
The Bureau Chief will report to the President of CBS News.
The successful candidate will:
• Lead a team of experienced journalists, and production staff covering Washington DC
• The selected candidate will help guide the bureau's correspondents and production teams during breaking news situations
• The candidate will provide timely and constructive feedback to the team
• Serve as a strategic leader who positions the bureau and the network as a whole in a position to both break news and offer investigative stories. They will also help propose critical interviews and story ideas for all broadcasts
• Motivate and lead the bureau while inspiring a new generation of journalists
• Work collaboratively with their business partners and colleagues to create an inclusive working environment that effectively leverages resources to create content that distinguishes CBS News
• Understand the importance of sharing the news across multiple formats to meet the demands of changing technology and consumers with a consistent eye on accuracy, integrity and objectivity
• Provide constructive and timely employee feedback
• Manage the budgetary aspects of the bureau in an effective and financially prudent manner
Qualifications: The Bureau Chief will have demonstrated excellence as a transformative leader with significant journalistic experience. He/she must have strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across the organization. The ability to help journalists identify stories and open doors that allow for the building of journalistic networks and the development of critical sources. Ability to work effectively with and across all levels of the organization is necessary. The selected candidate must have at least 10 years of progressive media leadership experience a network bureau, daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet. He/she must have strong organizational and communication (oral and written) skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities that help move CBS News into the future. Experience working in an unionized environment is a plus.
Original reporting and trusted news with content and perspective found nowhere else.