New York, NY
Seeking a smart, self-starting, and enthusiastic Broadcast Associate with a strong journalistic background and desire to learn more about all aspects of a live television news broadcast. The Broadcast Associate will work closely with producers, APs, correspondents and editors in putting together news and feature packages for air. The Broadcast Associate will also be expected to pitch stories, assist in booking guests, gather elements, log interviews, and coordinate with staff. There will also be opportunities to work in a live control room setting.
Candidates must have a strong journalistic sense and editorial skills, and possess a desire to learn more about the live and taped elements of a news broadcast. The position requires someone who is a self-starter but can also take direction. They should be willing to have a flexible schedule, and be willing to at times work late nights or come in early in the morning.
• Understanding of newsroom lingo (VO, VO/SOT, Package, Tag, etc.)
• Must have solid news judgement and understanding of current events
• Strong research skills including working with public and private records databases, such as Lexis Nexis, social media, and other methods is preferred.
• Must be an excellent writer with well-developed oral communication skills, especially when working on sensitive stories.
• Must be able to juggle and prioritize multiple stories with different deadlines.
• Must be a team player with a positive attitude.
• Thrives in high-pressure and time-critical situations.
• Degree in broadcast journalism or related field is preferred.
• Passion for news, journalism, and storytelling is required.
• Must be willing and able to work overnight and/or weekend shift if needed
Original reporting and trusted news with content and perspective found nowhere else.