Content Producer / MMJ
CBS 42 has an opening for a Digital Executive Producer (DEP). This data-driven audience expert manages, trains, and works alongside digital producers, social media producers, and digital reporters in the local newsroom. The DEP oversees and optimizes the daily packaging of all local editorial and syndicated content, bringing stories to life in a way that captivates and cultivates a loyal Central Alabama audience. They must be able to devise and implement strategic solutions and processes for efficient digital operations.
The DEP should be accustomed to a digitally minded lifestyle, attuned to new technologies and tools that could bolster CBS 42's growing digital footprint. This position is best suited for a self-starter and creative problem-solver who thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment. Having a pulse on what constitutes a good user experience is crucial.
The DEP must exhibit the flexibility to perform various duties and work across multiple websites, depending on regional needs. A master at creating high performing content, the DEP must be prepared to jump into the mix as needed.
• Attends local editorial meetings and serves as bridge between broadcast and digital in local newsroom
• Trains, coaches, and manages team of local digital journalists
• Works with digital producers to ensure steady stream of interesting, interactive content
• Writes buzzy, click-worthy headlines
• Packages stories in a way that encourages users to spend more time interacting with content on CBS42.com
• Executes regional tasks across multiple websites, depending on strengths and regional hub needs
• Uses website traffic trends to inform long-term strategic planning and decisions on daily content that will grow in-DMA traffic
• Responsible for meeting local KPI goals and cultivating a bigger, loyal audience
• Responsible for planning and implementing special coverage projects (e.g. severe weather, breaking news, enterprise digital reports)
• Monitors major news websites, local and state news websites, blogs and social media for breaking news and trending topics
• Promotes news content on social media with goal of driving traffic back to CBS42.com
The ideal candidate
• Quickly makes decisions and solves problems in technical, organized fashion
• Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills
• Sports a competitive streak and an assertive personality
• Possesses ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently
• Takes direction well and quickly implements new ideas
• Comfortably adapts to changes in ever-evolving industry
• Thrives under pressure
• Bachelor's degree / 5 years of experience gathering or producing news and information with 3 years of experience working primarily on the web
• Experience with web management and online publishing platforms
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style
• Ability to balance competing in-market and regional needs/duties
• Schedule flexibility (e.g. nights, weekends)
• Strong understanding of Google Analytics; Chartbeat experience a plus
• Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS, and Photoshop experience a plus
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.