Human Resources Associate Director
New York, NY
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. BuzzFeed covers breaking news, produces original video, and creates content that people want to share on the web. Buzzfeed has offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more.
Buzzfeed's massive cross-platform network includes: BuzzFeed Originals, which creates articles, lists, quizzes, and videos; BuzzFeed Media Brands, which comprises a portfolio of identity-driven lifestyle brands including Nifty, Goodful, As/Is, and Tasty, the world's largest social food network; BuzzFeed Studios, which produces original content across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms; and BuzzFeed News, which includes world-class reporting and investigative journalism. The Company also includes BuzzFeed Commerce, which develops products and experiences, as well as licensing and other strategic partnerships.
BuzzFeed is in immediate need of an experienced HR Business Partner to support BuzzFeed News and HuffPost. As an HRBP, you will partner with company executives, local managers, and employees to provide guidance on topics ranging from talent management and development, compensation, organizational effectiveness and design, employee relations, staffing and office culture.
You'll support the HR needs of our growing News division. We need an HRBP who is well-versed in the excitement (and challenges) of being a modern media company. As such, prior experience in the news and media experience and union experience are strong qualifiers for this role.
This is a truly hands-on role with the opportunity to make a real impact on the business. You will be viewed as an expert regarding the development and delivery of competitive HR initiatives to the business while simultaneously managing ongoing programs and tackling daily tasks – all with a healthy dose of humor!
BuzzFeed's People Team is dedicated to ensuring employing satisfaction at all stages of employment - from the first phone screen with a Recruiter, to talent development with an HRBP, and beyond. As part of the broader People Team at BuzzFeed, you'll work with some of the best human resources professionals in the business.
Our News team believes that journalism at its best has an impact on its audience and on the world - whether it's telling a story that would otherwise go untold, or changing the world at large through public policy.
You'll report to our Director of People and will be based out of NYC.
• Offer expert HR guidance to local managers and individuals in areas including talent management, development, and retention; career planning; succession planning; employee relations, organizational design and effectiveness, total rewards, staffing/headcount planning and more
• Serve as counselor and or advocate to employees and management regarding company policies, employee performance, culture/work environment and other issues; resolve conflicts effectively while minimizing legal exposure.
• Collaborate with other People Team members to lead and execute processes that allow for seamless People programs, employee development, and candidate experience.
• Remain current on HR practices along with applicable federal and local legislation and regulations and ensure compliance across your client groups
• Partner with Finance and business leaders to maintain employee headcount and assist with reporting on key metrics.
• 6+ years of HR experience, minimum of 3 years in a role directly advising clients on all types of HR matters
• Experience at other media companies and/or publishers is a plus
• Experience managing organizational transformation and change management, especially within a changing media landscape
• Previous experience working with unions and unionized workforce
• Solid business acumen and understanding of US labor laws
• Proficiency in various HR technologies like HCM platforms (we use Workday) as well as general productivity tools like Google Apps and Slack
• The ability to influence leaders at different levels in a fast-moving environment with a high degree of autonomy
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally.