BioWare is about creating worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire players to become the hero of their story. We are looking for collaborative problem solvers who share our passion for games as a creative medium and want to create groundbreaking experiences for our players. Join us for this once-in-a-career opportunity to help build the next Mass Effect, creating cutting edge visuals, telling emotionally engaging stories, and delivering exciting gameplay.
We are looking for an outstanding Environment Art Director to join the Mass Effect team. You will be an important partner in the project's success and committed to the studio's mission. You will work with other Directors to set goals, guide vision, develop project milestones, and advocate for player experience. Qualified applicants will have Artistic expertise, capability, level design knowledge, and imagination to explore iterations and produce final levels.
What the Environment Director will do at BioWare:
• Lead and inspire the level art team, providing feedback, guidance, and mentorship.
• Work with our Art Director, Creative Director, and other important partners to establish the environmental vision for the game.
• Work with Artists and Designers to guarantee a unified look and quality bar across game environments.
• Champion quality for the player's level experience, identifying essential elements that need to be addressed if they aren't meeting our quality goals.
• Lead level art reviews, providing applicable, qualitative feedback to the team based on art and gameplay direction.
• Visualize level development from initial ideation and concept to completion.
• Work with engineers and technical artists to develop pipelines, documentation, and clear performance metrics.
• Understand the project's technical and artistic constraints. You will communicate those constraints to team members, providing guidance for asset creation and layout best practices.
• Estimate schedules, workloads, and set priorities for our level art team.
• Partner with production to set goals, tasks, and deliverables that ensure milestones.
• Understand the game's storyline and gameplay so the environment team can enhance those elements.
• Work with external teams to ensure consistency and provide feedback.
• Create a motivating, positive work environment that fosters career and craft growth.
• You will report to the Creative Director.
• 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
• 2D and 3D artistic skills, and the ability to apply them to game systems.
• Compositional and visual storytelling skills.
• Expertise in Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop, or equivalent software.
• Substance Painter and Substance Designer knowledge.
• In-depth knowledge of material/shader development.
• Experience leading a medium to large team to success.
• Experience working with external art vendors.
• Technical knowledge to ensure assets and layouts are meeting optimization and gameplay metrics.
• Professional knowledge of AAA game engines and render pipelines.
• Experience with Unreal 5 or Unreal 4 experience is a plus!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r07v3j-54-211-101-93-42 in your application.