Manager, Business Affairs Administration
Remote / Virtual
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a membership association of more than 950,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers, and represents some of the world's most talented music creators. Founded and governed by songwriters, composers and publishers, it is the only performing rights organization in the US that operates on a not-for-profit basis. ASCAP licenses a repertory of over 18 million musical works to hundreds of thousands of businesses that use music, including streaming services, cable television, radio and satellite radio and brick and mortar businesses such as retail stores, hotels, clubs, restaurants and bars. ASCAP collects the licensing fees; identifies, matches and processes trillions of performances every year; and returns nearly 90 cents of every dollar back to its members as royalties. The ASCAP blanket license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. ASCAP puts music creators first, advocating for their rights and the value of music on Capitol Hill, driving innovation that moves the industry forward, building community and providing the resources and support that creators need to succeed in their careers. Learn more and stay in touch at www.ascap.com, on Twitter and Instagram @ASCAP and on Facebook.
# # #
Job Title: Counsel
Department: Business & Legal Affairs
Location: New York, NY
Reports to: SVP, Business and Legal Affairs & Membership
Direct Reports: None
Job Overview: The Counsel will support the Business & Legal Affairs (''BALA'') and Membership Departments with a variety of business affairs and legal responsibilities related to member affiliations and distributions, including drafting, and negotiating high-profile songwriter agreements with music lawyers and business managers.
Areas of Responsibility and Accountability:
• Day-to-day management of (including drafting, negotiation, and closing) all long-form member financial incentive agreements, NDAs, letters of direction, letter agreements and amendments.
• Leading a team responsible for managing ASCAP's contractual obligations (with support from the SVP, Membership and BALA).
• Providing legal support for ASCAP's Repertory and Distribution Departments regarding ASCAP rules, policy, and procedure.
• Assisting the Global Member Services (''GMS'') and Member Inquiry & Resolution Services (''MIRS'') teams with escalated complex member transactions, including royalty assignments, works licensing questions, and distribution/royalty issues.
• Supporting MIRS team with guidance on member estate matters, including reviewing and summarizing estate documents, and recommending designation of a successor(s).
• Supporting SVP, Membership and BALA, in executing strategy to achieve departmental and organizational goals, including long-term growth in market share and revenue.
• Special legal projects as assigned by Senior Executive staff.
Qualifications and Requirements: Qualified candidates should possess:
• At least two (2) years of legal experience working for a law firm or related in-house position.
• Prior experience working in the music business or other creative field a plus.
• Excellent drafting, negotiation, and organizational skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to develop highly effective and productive working relationships externally and internally throughout ASCAP.
• Ability to learn fast and have a commonsense approach to decision-making.
• A strong work ethic and a bias towards action, change and speed.
• Impeccable ethics and adherence to confidentiality obligations
• A J.D. with strong academic credentials
• A license to practice law in New York State and be in good standing.
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either network only provider medical and dental plans or more flexible medical and dental plans where you can see providers in or out-of-network
• Vision plan that offers both in and out of network provider options
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with an employer provided match
• An additional Employer paid retirement savings program regardless of your participation in the 401(k) Plan
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Short term disability Insurance/salary continuation and Long term disability insurance
• Company provided basic life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
• Supplemental and dependent life insurance options
Occasional travel for in-person meetings may be required.
Please be aware that ASCAP is not a nut-free or other allergen-free workplace.
As a condition of employment, ASCAP requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (including a first booster) against COVID-19. ASCAP will make reasonable accommodations for those who are unable to obtain a COVID-19 vaccination, where required by federal, state and local law, and in accordance with ASCAP's policies.
ASCAP is an equal opportunity employer. All ASCAP employment decisions are made on the basis of individual qualifications and performance and not on the basis of race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status, or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $180,000.00 to $220,000.00 and will be determined on an individualized basis depending on several factors that are unique to each candidate including geographic location (due to differences in the cost of labor), skills, education and prior relevant experience.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9vj0m-3-239-9-151-42 in your application.
ASCAP is home to more than 790,000 music writer and publisher members across all genres - the greatest names in music, and thousands more in the early stages of their careers. We are the world leader in performance royalties, advocacy, and service for music writers and publishers, and are the only PRO in the US run by its members including songwriters, composers, and music publishers.