Facial Blendshape Artist
Are you a talented Surfacing Artist interested in working with us on our upcoming animated feature in Vancouver?
Surfacing Artists at Animal Logic are responsible for giving models the visual surface qualities that make them appear believable.
Surfacing at Animal Logic Vancouver can encompass texture painting, procedural texturing, building shading networks, grooming and occasional sculpting or UV layout, on animated feature films.
What you'll get to do:
• Create high quality stylized (or occasionally photo-realistic) textures, either hand painted or procedural, to a level of detail necessary for production assets
• Create stylized or photo-realistic shading, depending on project requirements
• Create manual or procedural grooms as required, depending on the project and your area of focus
• Take direction from the Surfacing Lead, and present solutions or questions to pro-actively improve asset quality
• Share knowledge and communicate openly with other artists on your team
• Pro-actively escalate technical issues to more senior artists or your Lead
• Participate in reviews as required
• Assist with resource management and project clean up on an ongoing basis
What you bring:
• 3+ years' experience on feature films (vfx), animated features, or high-end episodics
• 3+ years' experience working on high quality texturing, shading and surfacing (preferably on photo-realistic material)
• Proven ability in surfacing and shading
• Experience with node-based procedural shading
• Experience with grooming, hair/fur or instancing tools
• Production experience in Houdini (or Maya), and with a modern raytracing package
• Production experience in Mari
• Excellent attention to detail
• A passion for making beautiful looking cg assets by combining strong visual and technical skills
• Excellence in problem solving, and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
• Strong communication skills, and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
• Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment
• Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots; be willing to show WIP and take feedback
• Houdini production experience is a clear bonus
• An interest in technical surfacing and proceduralism, and/or technical troubleshooting
• Experience with Substance Designer
• An understanding of lighting and colour theory in feature film production
• Sculpting experience (preferably with Mudbox)
• Experience scripting in Python
• Experience with Nuke
• Advanced degree or significant training in at least one or more of the following disciplines: computer graphics, computer science, digital media, filmmaking, photography, graphic design / illustration, foundation arts (drawing, painting, sculpture)
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkkeq0-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.
Animal Logic is one of the world's most accomplished digital studios producing award winning, ground breaking and trail blazing animation, visual effects and design.