American Academy of Dramatic Arts
Los Angeles, CA
The Los Angeles campus is seeking a Costume Director who is responsible for all aspects of the Costume Department. The Costume Director reports to the Production Manager. Costumes include clothing, shoes, purses, belts, eyeglasses, hats, and wigs.
General Position Responsibilities:
Other responsibilities include:
· Perform other related duties as assigned by the Production Manager.
· Participate in open house activities.
· Attend staff and production meetings.
Education, experience and skills required for the position are as follows:
· Five years as a theatrical costumer or equivalent experience.
· Substantial knowledge in the areas of history, costume, and design, including extensive knowledge of period clothing and hairstyles, and proper modes of wearing costumes.
· Artistic ability and training sufficient to provide detailed, full-color renderings for Academy Company shows, and to communicate ideas via sketches.
· Familiar and capable with hand and machine sewing. Able to do basic alterations and mending. Able to instruct work-study students in basic sewing techniques.
· Basic ability with other costuming tools and techniques: glue guns, paint, stencils, millinery, ribbon-craft, etc.
· Ability to organize work and set priorities, working independently.
· Ability to perform light bookkeeping in tracking expenditures to maintain budgetary parameters and assisting in preparing the annual department budget.
· Ability to work constructively with a wide range of personalities, giving due courtesy and attention to students, faculty, staff, and guests.
· Holder of a Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent in art, drama, literature, or related field desirable but not required.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should email cover letter, resume: Diana Brown, Production Manager. Documents should be in Microsoft Word or PDF formats only. Position Open until Filled.
The Academy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or status as a veteran.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d873kq-3-236-68-118-42 in your application.
Founded in 1884, The American Academy of Dramatic Arts is the first conservatory for actors in the English-speaking world. Since then, its purpose has remained constant: to provide students with the tools needed to make acting their profession. The Academy is an accredited, degree-granting institution with campuses in Los Angeles and New York. With an unmatched history and rich legacy, the Academy honors its past while continually striving to maintain its place at the forefront of training and creativity. To learn more about us, please visit our website at: www.aada.edu.