Unscripted Development Executive
Are you interested in shaping the future of movies and television?
Do you want to define the next generation of how and what Amazon customers are watching? Prime Video is one of the leading digital video services on the Internet today, and we're just getting started in changing the way millions of people enjoy content. Now available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide, Prime Video offers customers the broadest selection of any on-demand video service, including our critically-acclaimed Amazon Originals such as the Emmy Award-winning comedies Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, The Boys, Mindy Kaling's Late Night, Donald Glover's Guava Island, the Academy Award-winning Manchester by the Sea, Academy Award-nominated The Big Sick, exclusives, and live concerts and sports.
We are currently seeking a Head of Japan for our Local Originals initiative (based in Tokyo) to report in to the Head of APAC Local Originals. This executive will be responsible for overseeing the ongoing growth of Amazon PV in Japan through developing a compelling Local Originals slate, working hand in hand with the Head of APAC Local Originals to further our ambitions in the territory and become the preeminent destination for Creators and Talent. The ideal candidate is a both a strong creative and strategic leader with the proven ability to manage teams across all content categories, all aspects of creative production and is well-versed in solving day to day production problems as well as bigger strategic and regulatory issues relevant to the territory.
The ideal candidate must be an outstanding creative producer who has a perspective on the future of entertainment in Japan. The candidate will have a strong track record and experience across genres and a deep-rooted understanding from a business perspective of the dynamics underpinning the industry in Japan. They will possess an ability to build relationships internally at Amazon with key stakeholders (including Marketing, Operations, Business Affairs, Production, Finance etc) and externally with Creators and Talent.
They will also require a persuasive, clear and professional verbal and written communication style, an ability to own strategic documents and oversee the most complex of business and creative negotiations internally and externally. They must be a big thinker, with the confidence to both advocate ideas and collaborate in a highly pressured environment, with the ability to problem solve on a daily basis without supervision and manage the ambiguity that is the nature of creative production.
• Setting and implementing Local Original strategy in Japan.
• Seek out and assess pilot proposals, scripts, and pitches.
• Recruit new creative talent.
• Work with writers to develop stories and scripts.
• Oversee all creative aspects of development, production and post-production.
• Serve as primary Creative liaison internally at Amazon and externally with Creators and Talent.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
• 7+ years of successful series development and/or current programming experience, in TV.
• Experience managing series and films.
• Fluent in Japanese and English.
• 10+ years of successful series development and/or current programming experience in TV.
• Experience working at a premium television network.
• Extensive experience managing television development and production.
• A track record of increasing and sustaining viewership within the linear / SVOD landscape.
• Experience at setting and delivering against departmental strategy and goals.
• Familiarity with SVOD or OTT video services.
• Graduate degree in film, law or business.
• Creative problem-solver.
• High levels of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
• Excellent story skills.
Amazon Studios is the movies and television development and production arm of Amazon. It is our role to produce original content and license studio programs worldwide in exclusive service of Amazon's Prime Video customers. We need your passion, innovative ideas, and creativity to help take us to new heights.