Activision Central Tech works to support our development studios and their titles. Comprised of seven main teams, we have many specialties including big data, privacy and security, graphics, build and infrastructure for studio development and data centers, optimization, systems programming, and online services including matchmaking and networking. Central Tech is distributed globally with offices across the US, and in Canada, England, and Ireland. Our talented engineers help with title development and provide valuable knowledge sharing between studios while also researching new approaches to solve the needs of the game studios. To learn more about us and our research, please visit https://research.activision.com/.
Activision is seeking a Technology Fellow to join the Activision Central Technology group. This position will see you working aside some of the most forward-looking technologists in the industry in order to advance the state of the art in games.
As part of the Central Technology group, you will work in an architectural, managerial, and implementation capacity, assisting the studio teams in realizing their goals of solving cutting-edge problems in their titles. You will also have the opportunity to work across business units, interacting with senior engineering leadership from both Blizzard and King. Depending on the initiative you may lead or build a team to report to you in order to solve major technical challenges.
Your work will emphasize new and novel approaches that can be shared amongst the studio teams, but always within a context that delivers technology that solves real problems for those teams rather than novelty for its own sake. You will be expected to embed with the teams while working on these projects, but also do your work in such a way that it can be easily transported and iterated upon in order to maximize impact across the organization.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
• Assist the CTO in providing analysis, recommendations, and implementation support on strategic technology initiatives as required by Activision's games
• Liaise with partners in game studios when cross-functional leadership is required to move important efforts forward across multiple teams with diffuse ownership or accountability
• Help to educate staff, mentoring and providing expert guidance in areas of architectural importance around rendering and systems
Year one success will involve an important technology assignment around scalable content, rendering and simulation needs, with an emphasis on deploying our technology base onto mobile hardware targets:
• Research, design, and help direct new approaches to solving difficult problems in real-time computer entertainment on mobile devices, with an emphasis on scalability of approach given our need to support a range of devices between low-end mobile phones and high-end console and PC targets
• Work closely with our engineers and other platform specialists to maximize quality while minimizing run-time cost given the specific constraints on mobile platforms
• Help architect systems and design tooling to allow content creators to easily build and maintain libraries of assets which span a broad space of complexity
• Knowledge of CPU and GPU architecture across a wide swath of devices
• History of working with real-time performance constraints
• An ability to operate within a large, constantly evolving C++ codebase
• Familiarity with systems concepts in a variety of fields, including multi-threading, efficient file I/O, memory management, and thermal throttling
• Experience with modern real-time rendering APIs such as Metal and Vulkan
• Record of running engineering or research teams that tackled interesting and important problems in rendering and systems domains
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience representing many shipped titles and/or published discoveries and improvements
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5pk41-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.