Senior Software Engineer, Server (Networking)
Activision Central Tech works to support our development studios and their titles. Comprised of seven main teams, we have many specialties including big data, privacy and security, motion capture and animation pipeline technologies, graphics, build and infrastructure for studio development and data centers, optimization, systems programming and online services including matchmaking and networking. Central Tech is distributed globally with offices across the US, and in Canada, England, Ireland and Japan.
Most of our teams are comprised of both engineering and research talent, allowing us to always have an eye on the future. Our dedicated engineers help with title development and provide valuable knowledge sharing between studios while our researchers make things happen and keep a strong connection with the needs of the game studios.
Central Tech is part of Activision. To learn more about us and our research, please visit us at https://research.activision.com/.
The Central Tech team is looking for a Server Networking Engineer to join us in managing the infrastructure that supports backend game servers for some of the largest multiplayer games in the world. This is a very small team with a very large responsibility!
The individual in this position will be responsible for owning complex game server work and investigation including advanced server debugging working with advanced server code. Our ideal candidate will have a passion for writing robust, efficient code, and an understanding of the challenges involved with simulating and scaling a networked client/server game.
• Support and improve the live service, with a focus on performance measurement and optimization
• Work side-by-side with QA, design, production and other specialists to tackle some of our most complex problems
• Implement server infrastructure changes to support new gameplay features
• Perform research to acquire new knowledge necessary to perform tasks and maintain a process of technological evolution
• Architect features to improve server reliability, performance and uptime
• 5+ years relevant work experience
• Advanced understanding of C
• Linux experience
• Advanced understanding of Windows
• Advanced game server programming experience in Unreal Engine or a major AAA proprietary engine
• Game Development experience
• Understanding of Python
• Experience with server hosting tools
• Experience with integrating platform services
• Cloud experience (AWS/GCP/Azure)
• Have shipped one or more game titles
The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2y57m-18-207-157-152-42 in your application.