Senior Software Engineer
Job Title:Senior Software Engineer - Unreal Engine
Would you get excited about creating reliable and scalable online services and features, to be used by millions of players all around the world?
Demonware is an independently-run part of Activision Blizzard. We run every part of the players' online experience, from logging in to matchmaking to climbing the leaderboards, for popular video game franchises such as Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot and Skylanders.
Our services impact almost half a billion players, we solve big company challenges with a small company feel.
Do you love games, engineering, working with other senior technical staff, and online/multiplayer technology? Then we'd love to hear from you!
About This Role:
• You would be joining the Demonware's Titles Department who is responsible for working side-by-side with game studios to develop, launch and maintain services for some of the world's largest gaming franchises.
• You would work on a new generation of emerging franchises, leveraging many of the existing technologies created by Demonware and developing new online features for multiplayer games within the unreal engine, to support the future of our online games.
• Our development is geared towards low-latency and large-scale distributed systems that can handle millions of concurrently connected users with average response times of < 100 ms.
Day to Day:
• Implement online and networking features deep within the Unreal Engine (source level)
• Partner with game studio engineers to design online and multiplayer experiences
• Partner with game studio engineers to troubleshoot problems with online and multiplayer features, and provide an excellent customer experience
• Developing and integrating custom backend online services to create online and multiplayer game features that are reliable and scale to be used by millions of players all around the world
• Own, operate and support the features and services developed
• Travel to game studios to embed in the studio's development process, from design to delivery
• Provide mentorship on best practices for game studio development and integrations
What Demonware Offers:
Relocation support, 25 days of vacation and 3 bonus days in December, Free Activision Games, Flexible working practices, Pension, top-tier medical, dental and life insurance coverage for you and your dependents.
To read more: https://demonware.net/careers
• Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent program
• Worked on online service integration within the unreal game engine
• Experience with multi-platform development, including PC, PS4 and Xbox One
• Excellent C++ and LUA scripting skills
• Deep understanding of networking technologies, specifically those used in online game technology, e.g. Networking transport layer
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills allowing effect interactions with internal/external teams
• Has initiative, and is able to complete complex tasks with minimal supervision
• Experience with Perforce and/or Git
• Experience with AAA game engines
• Experience with building backend services is desirable, including skills in:
• Python or a similar language
• Database design, including MySQL and NoSQL databases
• Experience building services in a Linux environment
• Experience with large scale services (up to millions of concurrent users)
• Experience with mobile game development and shipping an online mobile title
Activision Blizzard, Inc. is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment.