Remote / Virtual
Activision Central Tech works to support our development studios and their titles. Comprised of seven main teams, we have many specialties including big data, privacy and security, motion capture and animation pipeline technologies, graphics, build and infrastructure for studio development and data centers, optimization, systems programming and online services including matchmaking and networking. Central Tech is distributed globally with offices across the U.S., and in Canada, England, Ireland and Japan.
Most of our teams are comprised of both engineering and research talent, allowing us to always have an eye on the future. Our talented engineers help with title development and provide valuable knowledge sharing between studios while our researchers are action-oriented and keep a strong connection with the needs of the game studios.
Central Tech is part of Activision. To learn more about us and our research, please visit us at https://research.activision.com/.
Activision is seeking a Principal Core Engineer to join the Activision Central Technology group in the UK. This is an exciting and rare opportunity to work as part of a small highly talented team on some of the biggest games in the world.
As a Principal Core Engineer, you will architect, refactor, optimize and maintain a variety of game, tool and low-level systems. You will need to be flexible and comfortable jumping into a variety of disciplines including: pipelines, tools, memory management, animation, rendering, performance and more. You will be working in partnership with other engineers spread across the world, and content creators across a variety of disciplines. Qualified candidates need to be self-starters, able to operate in a highly dynamic environment.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has a solid technical background, a passion for game technology and a desire to advance the start of the art in games.
• Highly competitive salary
• Annual discretionary bonus
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
• Flexible working hours
• Comprehensive benefits plan including pension contributions and private health insurance
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Architect, refactor, optimize and maintain game, pipeline, tool and low-level engine systems
• Design, write, debug, optimize and refine core systems, features, and infrastructure as needed
• Contribute extensively to the sharing and advancement of core systems and technology across all of Activision's studios
• Embrace multi-platform development from PlayStation, Xbox, PC to Mobile
• 5-8+ years programming experience
• Demonstrated proficiency in and knowledge of C/C++, computer architecture, data structures, performance, and multi-threaded programming techniques
• An ability to operate within a large, constantly evolving C++ codebase
• Experience working on multi-platform software projects
• Ability to research, analyze and optimize code to meet performance requirements
• Contributed extensively to the development of two or more shipped games on PC, Console or Mobile
• Proficient with 3D math including linear algebra (vector math, matrices)
• Ability to quickly understand and work with internal and externally developed code
• Some familiarity with modern real-time rendering APIs and architecture is a bonus
• B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
• Excellent communication skills, able to collaborate with colleagues both locally and around the world
• Ability to self-prioritize and execute with minimal supervision
Activision Blizzard, Inc. is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment.