Technical Character Artist
Santa Monica, CA
Activision Publishing is currently seeking an experienced Lead Technical Artist for a new mobile title. You should have an expert understanding of FPS and mobile games. In this role you will help rig, skin, and implement our characters and weapons for a forthcoming project. Our perfect candidate will demonstrate a balance of understanding, great art execution and great technical execution. This candidate also needs to be a great team player – never putting oneself over the project needs or the team. You will be a direct part of a core team but collaborate with teams around the world.
• Work hand in hand with the Art Director, Technical Director and Art Leads to set the technical guidelines for content development, finding areas for improvement and to help prototype or implement solutions.
• Explore novel ways to populate and annotate game levels, allowing artists and designers to have a wider positive impact on the look and design without sacrificing creative control over their craft.
• Rigging, skinning, and asset setup ranging from characters, complex weapons and vehicles, for our current and future projects.
• Collaborate closely with modelers, animators, FX, and engineering - ensuring content meets the technical needs for rigging, skinning, and implementation for the game.
• Managing and maintaining asset integration, files, pipelines and processes.
• Evaluate and troubleshoot assets, look for bugs, and additional polish opportunities to ensure high quality.
• Contribute toward new techniques and process efficiency improvements for general character content development.
• Create and write tools and scripts to help users create content more efficiently, within one platform or across multiple platforms.
• Use your wealth of experience as a creative artist and technical precision skills and balance both. Never sacrificing one for the other.
• Thrive in dynamic, fast-paced environment
• At least 8+ years of game development experience
• At least two AAA titles developed and shipped from start to finish
• Be curious and proactive.
• Ability to learn new tools quickly.
• A good communicator who is comfortable taking direction and critique.
• Self-managing and able to identify and meet goals.
• Ability to assess content scope and ensure successful delivery of content on tight deadlines.
• Expert knowledge and production experience using Maya.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of facial and figure anatomy, as well as hard surface mechanical shapes.
The video game industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment.