WLS Newswriter (Daily Hire)
Disney Entertainment's eight owned ABC stations are multiplatform leaders in local news and information. ABC7/WLS-TV Chicago is the No. 1 local news source and most-watched television station in Chicago. With top-rated daily newscasts spanning decades and the largest social media presence in the market with more than 2.6 million Facebook followers, ABC7 Eyewitness News provides breaking news, investigative reporting, weather, politics, traffic and sports in the multiplatform space to Chicago, the suburbs and northwest Indiana. Named Best News Operation by the Associated Press for four consecutive years, ABC 7 Eyewitness News produces ''Chicago Proud,'' a series of features that spotlights everyday heroes in and around Chicago. The station also produces the highest-rated New Year's Eve special in Chicago, a holiday kickoff special, The Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, syndicated to a national audience, as well as the award-winning program series ''Our Chicago,'' which showcases the city's diversity and highlights contributions in the Black, Hispanic, Asian, LGBTQ+ communities, among others. ABC 7 is the only Chicago station producing and broadcasting parades representing Chicago's rich cultural history. In addition to producing town halls focused on current social issues, the station has a long and proud tradition of broadcasting political candidate debates keeping Chicago's electorate informed. ABC7's outreach efforts include annual partnerships with the Red Cross for life-saving blood drives, one of the biggest one-day drives in the country and, most recently, spearheading an effort to raise more than $1.5 million for area food pantries.
ABC 7 Chicago's #1 news station is looking to hire a Newswriter to join our team! Do you have the ability to write stories and produce newscasts with emotional and visual impact in a collaborative and innovative newsroom? Candidates must have outstanding news judgment and be able to craft thoughtful, visually compelling stories that meet the high journalistic standards of ABC7 Chicago. ABC 7 is focused on owning big story coverage and serving a diverse audience in the third-largest market in the country, and we are looking for people to help us make that happen every day.
Daily Hire is an employee hired to work on a daily basis with no requirement of a regular schedule.
• Write and produce for newscasts as assigned
• Edit video, build graphics and booth newscasts
• Work with reporters, editors, directors, and others to shape stories and newscasts
• Minimum of 2 years experience
• Must be a self-starter, have great news judgment, thrive on breaking news and deadline pressure.
• Excellent writer.
• Organized, collaborative and good at managing people and resources.
• Must have an eye for impact, relevance and moments that connect with viewers.
• Effectively use social media to gather and distribute news.
• Must be willing to work overnights and weekends
• Knowledge of Dalet, non-linear editing, and Ross XPression
• Bachelor's degree
• This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
• This position is covered under the Company's collective bargaining agreement with NABET-CWA.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbyowy-3-237-31-191-42 in your application.