Senior Producer - Race & Culture (Longform), ABC Studios
Do you believe powerful storytelling can have a positive impact on society? Are you committed to telling in-depth, eye-opening stories about people and communities that are often overlooked and underreported? ABC News has an opening for senior level producing talent to join its Race, Culture and Inclusion team as the dedicated Senior Producer of Longform. The individual in this role will help to expand and drive our award-winning Race & Culture longform projects, including documentary specials for primetime television and Hulu, as well as various reporting initiatives that spotlight underrepresented communities.
The ideal candidate is deeply passionate about Race, Culture and Inclusion as a reporting beat and has extensive experience developing and producing compelling longform programming from ideation through execution. We are looking for someone who is very creative and collaborative, has a strong understanding of character-driven narrative and story arc, and enjoys and excels at program and story development as much as full-swing production and working with producing teams to build outstanding shows. Agility, flexibility, strong editorial judgement, outstanding storytelling skills, strong work ethic, cultural sensitivity, a passion for diversity, and a sense of the cultural zeitgeist are a must.
The Senior Producer reports to the Executive Producer for Race, Culture and Inclusion and the VP of ABC News Studios.
What You Will Do
• Responsibilities include working closely with the EP of Race, Culture, and Inclusion to ideate and develop programming, write editorial treatments and outlines, and assist with overall advance planning for one-hour shows in the RCI space for broadcast and streaming audiences.
• The ideal candidate has wide storytelling range, interest, and ability, from impact journalism that advises and moves viewers; to archival storytelling that re-frames important moments in history; to hard-working and engaging takes on celebrity, art, and pop culture through a race and culture lens.
• Candidates must be able to effectively lead all phases of longform production, including supervising project staff, leading all aspects of workflow, and providing producers with editorial and scripting mentorship.
• They must have the ability to work under deadline and the agility to handle quick-turn specials and hours on occasion.
• In addition to supplying creative and innovative ideas for longform storytelling, the Senior Producer will also participate in the broader Race, Culture, and Inclusion team and mission by collaborating with colleagues on cultural heritage campaigns and special initiatives throughout the year.
• They will contribute to team brainstorms on coverage as well as ongoing ways to increase social media presence, viewership, and brand awareness for our longform franchise. Understanding of digital platforms and social media preferred.
Required Qualifications & Skills
• Minimum 10 years journalism experience.
• All candidates should have extensive development and producing experience in longform specifically, as well as a background in reporting on diverse communities and issues of race/culture.
• Strong editorial judgement and ethics, as well as cultural awareness and sensitivity.
• Desire to be a part of a diverse and inclusive team that respects and values different viewpoints and lived experiences, both behind and in front of the camera.
• Experience performing well and delivering quality work under pressure, while maintaining professional presence.
• Highly motivated, enthusiastic team players with a belief in powerful storytelling to impact society and the world are encouraged to apply.
The base salary for this position in New York City is $202,800 – $278,700. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About ABC News:
The Disney Entertainment Television group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC News.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk6j6k-100-26-196-222-42 in your application.