ABC News is looking for a Manager of Elections to work on its Decision Desk team and to work on public opinion polling projects! This position reports to the Executive Director of Elections.
The Decision Desk oversees the election data, statistical models, and computer systems used by ABC News for primary and general elections. The Decision Desk provides projections of election outcomes, delegate estimates and editorial support for ABC News' election coverage, including ABC News network election broadcasts, ABC News Live, ABC News Audio, and ABC News Digital platforms.
This is a full-time position with benefits, based in New York City!
• Set-up and ongoing, comprehensive testing of ABC News' election computer systems to verify that we receive all data from our data providers in real time and that it is accurately displayed in all areas. This includes polling and vote data at the state, CD, county and precinct levels, as well as election projections and delegate estimates.
• Design, set-up and testing of statistical models and analytic tools used to project election winners.
• Work with computer programming staff to ensure accurate system functioning.
• Work with the Decision Desk team during all rehearsals, trainings and on election nights to ensure that everything runs efficiently.
• Training of ABC News staff on how to use our election computer systems.
• On election nights serve as a key member of ABC News' decision team, making election projections using a variety of data and statistical models.
• On primary election nights, assist in the allocation of delegates based on an analysis of the vote. Throughout the primary election season, assist in updating ABC News' Delegate Estimate as it changes between primary election events.
• Serve as one of ABC News' representatives on the National Election Pool Survey Committee and Statistical Committee.
• Work on ABC News/Ipsos public opinion polls including questionnaire design, fieldwork coordination, data analysis and methodological research.
• Vetting of polls and social science studies from outside sources for the news division.
• Conduct background research on election and polling topics.
• 5 or more years relevant work experience
• Experience with statistical analysis, modeling, and statistical software
• Experience conducting public opinion polls and knowledge of survey research methodology.
• Experience working with and analyzing state voter registration files
• Exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure, environment and consistently meet very tight deadlines
• Ability to work at night and on weekends during election season and during breaking news events
• Ability to work both independently and as part of team
• An interest in US electoral politics
• Experience with computer programming languages and database management skills are a plus.
• Bachelor's Degree in the social sciences (e.g., political science, statistics, sociology, communication research, survey research, data science etc.)
• PhD in the social sciences (e.g., political science, statistics, sociology, communication research, survey research, data science etc.)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply even if they don't meet every qualification. Applicants must be able to work in the US
ABC News is America's No. 1 news source, providing straightforward, fact-driven journalism across broadcast, streaming, digital and audio. ABC's award-winning programs include ''Good Morning America,'' ''World News Tonight with David Muir,'' ''Nightline,'' ''20/20,'' ''This Week with George Stephanopoulos,'' ''GMA3: What You Need to Know,'' and ''The View''. Other platforms include ABC News Live, the network's 24/7 streaming channel; ABC News Studios, a premium, narrative nonfiction original production house; ABC News Digital, comprised of a diverse audience of more than 53 million monthly average users; ABC Audio, the premier source for radio news and industry-leading podcasts; FiveThirtyEight, renowned data journalism organization; and NewsOne, the affiliate news service. Based in New York City, ABC News is comprised of three US bureaus and eight international bureaus, with a presence in more than 20 countries around the world.
The hiring range for this position in New York, NY is $129,900 to $174,130 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About ABC News:
The Disney Entertainment Television group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC News.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw3pyy-44-212-94-18-42 in your application.