The Lead Software Engineer will work independently on various media and workflow projects for ABC News. This person is expected to gather requirements from end users, build front-end and back-end solutions based on those needs, conduct proper testing of code (both their own and that of others), document code thoroughly, and make iterative improvements to the software they are building over time. This individual will also be responsible for their own devOps on AWS/Azure, depending on the project.
The projects this role will work on are primarily News specific media production and newsgathering tools that are either net-new or are integrations into existing systems. These projects are critical to helping ABC News more effectively and creatively cover news, produce content, and create new end-user news experiences. The role is part of a team that collaborates with various other technology groups as part of the news division. The job may include the need to work some weekends/nights, depending on the news cycle.
• Gather requirements from end-users and determine the most effective solution
• Design, build and test software to meet the needs determined for each project
• Perform required user acceptance testing
• Collaborate with Workflow and Product Managers, as well as with other developers, on larger scale projects.
• Pro-actively contribute to, and/or maintain, a shared backlog and update stories as needed
• Document code and projects as they are being built
• Ensure continued functionality of applications and systems post-launch
• Experience utilizing APIs and microservices to build inter-connected solutions
• Experience building applications on AWS infrastructure, including utilizing Serverless Frameworks
• Knowledge of broadcast and file based video codecs and FFmpeg tools
• 10+ years of experience in software engineering, preferably some of which were spent on media production projects
• Software engineering experience for video TV/Video production and/or News
• Experience working on video MAM/PAM system, live streaming and/or live production systems
• Knowledge of media orchestration tools and BPM workflow solutions
• User research and UI/UX design experience.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education related to computer science
The hiring range for this position in New York is $156,300.00-$209,600.00 per year based on a 40 hour work week. The amount of hours scheduled per week may vary based on business needs. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About ABC News:
The Disney Entertainment Television group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC News.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rzb20q-18-207-129-175-42 in your application.