We are seeking a reporter/writer to join ABC News' Digital team to cover health and science news. The ideal candidate is a rock-solid self-starter with proven experience covering health and science news -- both in writing breaking news and features, for example, on the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. This reporter will be expected to weave together information from the field, through their own reporting, and working with ABC News' Medical Unit.
This reporter will have a strong sense of how to approach a story holistically – using videos, photos and social embeds to create text stories that are sharp, informative and highly visual. This reporter will also work closely with the Digital video team to produce compelling video features and explainers. This reporter will also be expected to assist editors in the selection and curation of health and science content from our partners, such as Kaiser Health News.
The role is based at the ABC News headquarters in New York City.
• Pitch and write daily health and science stories and long-term enterprise ideas
• Turn around day-of stories with speed and accuracy
• Collaborate with newsgathering and broadcast show teams
• Identify fresh, engaging story ideas, angles and sources
• Maintain health and science-related live blogs, such as a COVID-19 live blog, in coordination with editors
• At least 3 years news writing experience, preferably covering health and science with an online news organization or a news organization with a significant online presence
• Proven ability to write clean copy on a deadline
• Experience with web publishing and AP style
• Track record of collaborating with reporters and editors of all experience levels in a fast-paced newsroom.
• BA or BS from a 4-year accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
• Master's degree in journalism from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmwkb2-3-234-211-61-42 in your application.