ABC News is seeking a Deputy Washington Editor to join the ABC News Digital team.
The Deputy Washington Editor is responsible for working closely with the Washington Editor in leading the charge on the coverage coordination and line editing of DC-based text stories and politics-related stories. The Deputy Washington Editor is also responsible for coordinating with Digital's senior editorial leaders, the various DC editorial teams, including the White House and Capitol Hill, and the Newsgathering division as a whole.
The Deputy Washington Editor is also responsible for coordinating with our Audience Development team for effective social media and platforms coverage to maximize the exposure of Digital's content.
This editor is also expected to coordinate with the teams responsible for videos, photos and graphics -- exercising discretion on the accomplishment of tasks. The coordination with the Digital video team in particular is essential to the company's strategic priorities.
The ideal candidate is someone who has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, is a self-starter and does well under pressure. The candidate should also have experience dealing with teams for legal review and for news standards and practices.
The role is based in Washington, D.C and requires a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends. Generally the required hours are 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, although the schedule may occasionally change depending on events and coverage needs.
• Line edit DC-based and politics stories in coordination with other Digital editors.
• Work with Digital's senior editorial leaders, the DC editorial teams and Newsgathering to ensure robust and timely coverage of DC-based and politics stories, including coverage of ''This Week.''
• Coordinate election coverage in conjunction with the Washington Editor and the senior editorial leaders.
• Help coordinate DC-based and politics futures/enterprise coverage.
• Help coordinate with the Digital video team to ensure robust video coverage with text stories.
• Assist with live coverage of DC-based and politics stories, including editing live blogs during special events.
• Produce a robust hand-off note to set up DC-based coverage for the following day.
• At least 5 years of news writing/editing experience, including breaking news
• Proven ability to write clean copy and edit on a deadline
• Track record of working on DC-based and politics stories for a major online news organization
• Experience with web publishing and AP style
• Track record of collaborating with reporters and editors of all experience levels in a fast-paced newsroom.
• BA or BS from a 4-year accredited college or university or equivalent experience
• Master's degree in journalism from an accredited college or university
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company's streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqmk76-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.