Staff Product Designer - Digital
National Geographic Photography Resident (Project Hire)
National Geographic seeks aspiring journalists from diverse backgrounds for a rigorous year-long employment opportunity. Participants accepted into this program will spend the year working in the Photo Department, mastering the editorial and production skills essential to success in the competitive, fast-paced field of multiplatform journalism.
The Photo Resident will report to the Deputy Director of Photography, and work with photographers, photo editors, writers, and designers. They will gain hands-on experience pitching story ideas, seeking talent, developing long-term projects, researching images, and producing shoots.
Additionally, the Photo Resident will have access to industry-leading professionals, as well as development and mentorship opportunities.
This is a Project position and employment will continue on this Project (at the company's sole discretion), and in no event shall extend past the completion of the Project.
The position requires a sophisticated visual aesthetic, strong editing skills, and the ability to commission and research photo content reflective of National Geographic's photographic standards.
The Photo Fellow is responsible for all facets of production including: researching and developing story ideas; pitching to the executive team; commissioning photographers; produce long-term projects, providing production and field support; researching and licensing stock imagery; and editing and publishing stories across all platforms.
They will cultivate and maintain relationships in the photo industry; and seek and recruit photographic talent to National Geographic.
• Minimum 1 year of relevant professional experience
• Excellent visual taste; extensive knowledge of photography and photographers
• Keen editorial sensibility, and ability to make editorial judgments/superior news judgment
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with creative minds and work across departments
• Ability to work independently, and to problem solve creatively
• Experience in digital journalism and proficiency in social media is a plus
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• Degree in journalism, photography, or another related field preferred
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.