Manager, Strategy and Business Development
New York, NY
The Specialist, Global Rights will play an integral role in A+E's Program Renewals Business. This position will be responsible for their own set of assigned Program Renewals, which will require them to perform detailed copyright research and re-clearance work autonomously. The Specialist will re-license third party owned materials for A+E programming content by negotiating favorable fees and license terms for footage, photos, talent and other IP. This position will also need to provide frequent updates regarding re-clearance costs to the Rights Licensing team, as well as various relevant budget managers.
These actions require strong organizational, coordination and follow-through skills. This role will be required to renew a large volume of content and will ensure content needs are met for many platforms including the on-air linear feed, multiplatform, digital SVOD platforms including History Vault and Crime 360, and for off-net distribution with both Domestic and International sales partners.
This position will also serve as the liaison with the Rights In team, becoming a Rights Management System Expert, and ensuring Rights Flow accordingly for all re-cleared programming. In this function, the Specialist will oversee the timely input of all renewed programming into the Rights Management Systems, and will perform system fixes as needed.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU'LL DO:
• A+E is currently operating on a remote basis.
• Negotiate favorable rates/terms and acquire rights from the copyright owners of film, photographs, books, magazines, artwork, logos, and more.
• Draft and review agreements to conform with Network's required terms and standards.
• Research copyright and trademark information for owners of footage, newspapers, books, photos, etc. and prepares clearance requests.
• Provide forecasting and cost analysis for expired/expiring programs and manage budget accordingly.
• Track Rights Renewals and Rights Upgrades on an individual program basis and advise various business units (Programming, Scheduling, International, Content Sales and Digital) regarding content clearance status, costs, and risk assessment.
• Support Director and Manager in day-to-day business including legal research, rights availability queries and music and media clearance requests.
• Input Renewed Programming Rights into Rights Management Systems (Jaguar/FilmTrack), ensuring accuracy of records and confirming Rights Flow which releases the re-cleared content back into the active inventory
• Utilize Rights Management systems to provide ad-hoc Rights checks and to ensure Rights information is accurate and populating correctly into various Rights Availability Reports and Sales databases.
• The ability to negotiate music sync and master recording licenses is preferred.
YOUR STORY: [+BEHAVIORS] (what you need to have)
• 3-5 years required experience actively negotiating and acquiring rights of third Party owned material for a television, media or music company; negotiation experience required.
• Existing strong relationships and connections in the third-party content business is a must – film companies, music publishers, record labels, stock houses, footage agencies, news agencies, studios, etc. – with a firm grasp of licensing standards and associated fees.
• Detail oriented and the ability to handle a large volume of work and to perform daily duties autonomously and efficiently.
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills are required to be successful in this role.
• Strong negotiation skills with an ability to utilize pre-existing relationships in the third-party licensing world to find opportunities for renewal cost savings.
• Must be extremely Tech-savvy working in databases and rights management systems, with a willingness to frequently increase skills in this area.
• Excellent skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Experience and knowledge of online copyright research tools for IP ownership.
• The candidate will have a four-year college degree or equivalent in relevant work experience.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw7vwk-3-236-68-118-42 in your application.
At A+E Networks, we believe that storytelling uncovers the human in humanity, the hero in heroism, and the ordinary in the extraordinary.