Intern - Research and Development
Tampa Bay Rays
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
The Tampa Bay Rays are in search of our next Research and Development Intern. Our R&D group helps shape our Baseball Operations decision-making processes through the analysis and interpretation of data. We are seeking those with a passion for baseball and a desire to contribute through mathematics, data analysis and computation. Our next intern will be an intellectual contributor that can work both individually and collaboratively, coming up with interesting research questions to explore, find ways to answer those questions with the data at their disposal, communicate the results of their research, and work to apply their research outcomes to improve how our organization operates. We want to work with people who care about being good teammate, want to make a positive impact on our organization, have an innovative spirit, and will explore new ways to make us better.
• Develop strong skills in statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, player development and strategic decision-making
• Learn methods for communicating complex research findings to a variety of Baseball Operations audiences
• Design research inquiries with the potential to yield immediately actionable findings within our organization
• Work collaboratively with and assisting other members of our department with your areas of expertise
• Collect in-game data to support operational needs of the department
• Ad hoc research and analysis in support of general Baseball Operations tasks
• A solid foundation in mathematics, physics, statistics, computer science, engineering and/or related fields.
• Advanced computational skills
• Experience with R, Python, and/or Stan preferred.
• Experience solving complex problems.
• Creativity to discover new avenues of research.
All offers contingent on a satisfactory background check.
Statement: All applicants for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g66qv0-3-236-209-138-42 in your application.