Intern - Baseball Performance Science
Tampa Bay Rays
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
The Tampa Bay Rays are seeking multiple candidates for internships dedicated to improving player development and performance, injury prevention, nutrition, and enhancing player well-being through performance science. These unique positions offer our interns the opportunity to integrate performance science, athletic training, strength and conditioning, and nutrition aimed at improving the performance and well-being of players across the entire Rays organization. These internships will require presence during Spring Training and may be based out of any of the Rays affiliate cities. Although internship positions carry the potential to lead to full-time employment offers with the Rays organizations, such an offer is not guaranteed. We do strive to provide an experience that builds a solid foundation towards multiple career paths.
• Assist with implementation and maintenance of various performance science, performance, nutritional, and sports medicine research initiatives across the Rays organization.
• Data collection and analyses of a variety of performance science data sources, for the purpose of player evaluation, injury risk assessment, athlete well-being assessment, decision analysis, etc.
• Effectively interact and communicate with a diverse team of individuals from across the organization including staff from performance science, sports medicine, nutrition, strength and conditioning, player development, front office, and scouting.
• Guided exploration of new performance science technologies that may provide novel, impactful value to the organization.
• Assist with data integration into our current databases of all performance science data sources.
• Various other performance science, nutrition, strength and conditioning, and/or athletic training-focused daily duties across the organization, as applicable.
• A strong foundation in performance science including, but not limited to biomechanics, sports medicine, exercise physiology, athletic training, and/or neuromuscular control. Graduate-level education in these areas is highly desired.
• Clinical experience (and accompanying certifications) in the areas of athletic training, physical therapy, strength and conditioning, and/or nutrition are highly desired.
• Demonstrated experience and coursework in statistics, computer science, and/or engineering is beneficial.
• Demonstrated Spanish fluency is beneficial
• In addition to working closely with the broader Baseball Performance Science team, we desire candidates who will challenge the status quo and explore new research opportunities. Previous interns have developed ideas that have changed the way the organization approaches important challenges.
Ideal candidates will possess:
• Trustworthiness and the ability to maintain the confidentiality of work materials and processes.
• Capability to communicate in multiple languages, especially Spanish.
• Strong work ethic, time management skills, and attention to detail.
• Open-mindedness and respect for others' opinions.
• Desire and aptitude to develop new skills.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with periodic direction, while being flexible to changes.
• Ability to develop and execute advanced research study designs to evaluate complex questions.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences.
Potential Locations include: Port Charlotte/Sarasota, FL; Durham, NC; Montgomery, AL; Bowling Green, KY; Charleston, SC; Dominican Republic. Housing considerations provided.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmyknx-44-200-117-166-42 in your application.