Spring Intern - Research & Development, Technology Development
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
Job DescriptionResearch & Development (Unreal Engine 5) Intern, Technology Development – Spring 2023
Research & Development (Unreal Engine 5) Intern, Technology Development – Spring 2023
The Sony Pictures Entertainment Internship program offers a unique opportunity to work alongside the teams that come together to create movies, TV shows, and other great experiences. These seasonal, paid assignments provide meaningful and productive work that allows you to build your resume, experience and develop your skills further. You will be provided with challenging tasks, real-world experience, valuable networking opportunities, and many educational and social opportunities. This Spring Internship is from January through May 26th and all candidates must be able to work between 10-29 hours a week, Monday through Friday (flexible depending on school schedule).
Technology Development empowers studio creators by seeking out and developing new technologies to produce inspiring content. Tech Dev helps to foster innovation at Sony Pictures Entertainment through the discovery, exploration, and socialization of new technologies across the entire spectrum from content creation to distribution. Tech Dev serves as a conduit for SPE to Sony Corporate and R&D, top tier tech companies, and industry standards bodies.
Our goal is to help future-proof the studio and ensure that it is ready to take advantage of new storytelling technologies and mediums. We aim not to just rely on technology, we want to drive it by becoming top of mind for top tier tech companies and, where appropriate, funnel opportunities to Sony's investment-driven arms. We want these efforts to enable new and advanced technology adoption within and across SPE business units to ensure SPE stays ahead of the technology curve and help new and innovative stories become reality.
As such, Tech Dev sits in a unique position at the intersection of SPE, Sony Corporate and R&D, top tier tech companies, and industry standards bodies and provides technology strategy and solutions in support of SPE's various lines of business including Production, Post Production, Marketing, and Distribution departments.
• Research, prototype, and evaluate using real-time game engine technology (Unreal Engine) for future studio content creation workflows and pipelines
• Develop proof of concepts tests using real-time technology to explore :
• Latest Unreal Engine 5 features including Nanite and Lumin
• Streamlined generation of photoreal 3D objects and environments using Quixel
• Creation and application of MetaHuman based characters
• Depending on experience - additional support for other areas of interactive technologies within the group (e.g., scanning, motion capture, virtual production and AI/ML), if applicable.
• Graduate student studying in relevant field available to work 20-30 hours a week during the Spring 2023.
• Experience using Unreal Engine 4/5 in interactive game and/or VR development essential
• Programming/scripting skills including experience with C++ and Unreal Engine Blueprints
• Good technical art skills and familiarity with 3d asset creation tools
• Must be detail-oriented and able to perform a lot of detailed work.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
• Able to efficiently and effectively document work
• Must be a ʻfuture thinkerʼ that is excited about technology.
• Candidates with a list of published work/projects in the field of real-time 3d interactive content are preferred.
• Candidates with content creation experience in a related VFX field.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d994n9-18-232-179-5-42 in your application.
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.