Intern - Online Services Engineer
- Entry (0-2 years) Experience
The Psyonix Online Services team is looking for a smart, creative Online Services Intern to join us for Summer 2021. Our Interns are given challenging projects over the work term, and are provided with a meaningful experience with high expectations for performance. If you want to build something Epic, this is the opportunity for you!
Psyonix is a subsidiary of Epic Games located in downtown San Diego. Best known for Rocket League, the award-winning and highly competitive game/esport, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes a healthy work-life balance.
We are looking for qualified, self-motivated Software Engineering Interns to help us build and maintain PsyNet - the online backend that powers Rocket League (as well as other upcoming projects). Ideal candidates should have some experience or knowledge of designing, programming, and maintaining backend software systems using modern technologies and best practices.
As a member of the Online Services team at Psyonix, you will contribute in one or more of the following ways:
• Game Features - Whether for Rocket League or other projects, you will build, deploy, and maintain the backend API, applications, and core tech that powers gameplay features, including player rank/progression systems, in-game item drop systems, monetization systems, matchmaking, authentication, and many more. You'll collaborate with other teams, including Game Design, Game Client / UI Engineers, QA and others, in order to deliver the best possible experience to our players.
• Admin Tools - You will build, deploy, and maintain an essential suite of administrative tools that empower various in-house departments and key external partners to directly and securely interact with PsyNet to control game features and analyze player activity. You'll leverage an understanding of both game features and studio processes to deliver solutions that improve user experience and increase studio efficiency.
• DevOps - You will contribute to the delivery, scalability, and reliability of our backend platform serving millions of concurrent world-wide users. You will utilize modern DevOps, SRE, and CI/CD practices to engineer systems and processes that automate/minimize operational toil and drive proactive infrastructure improvements to optimize our operational efficiency.
• Coding/software engineering proficiency relevant to at least one of the areas described above
• Experience, education, or other familiarity with designing, developing, testing, and maintaining web services/microservices and APIs
• Ability to communicate technical concepts verbally and in writing
• Proficiency with C#, PHP, or Go
• SQL experience
• Cloud experience
• Docker experience
• Kubernetes experience
• Familiarity with SRE principles
This is a paid, remote internship for Summer 2021. All candidates must be eligible to work 40 hours per week remotely. Recruitment will run until teams find an ideal match. For more information about Epic Internships, visit Epicgames.com/students
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Founded in 1991, Epic Games is a leading interactive entertainment company and provider of 3D engine technology. Epic operates Fortnite, one of the world’s largest games with over 350 million accounts and 2.5 billion friend connections. Epic also develops Unreal Engine, which powers the world’s leading games and is also adopted across industries such as film and television, architecture, automotive, manufacturing, and simulation.