Department: Astros Golf Foundation
Reports to: Monica Whitt
Period: January 8, 2024 – May 10, 2024 (Texas Children's Houston Open week: March 25-31)
The Astros Golf Foundation was formed in 2018 to manage the PGA TOUR event, Texas Children's Houston Open.
Our goal to make this tournament a premier event on tour by engaging more fans, creating memorable experiences, and providing resources/funds to the community of Houston through park improvements, charitable fundraising, and investment in youth programs.
The Texas Children's Houston Open relies heavily on it's interns in the execution of the tournament and associated events. Interns gain valuable experience in all areas of tournament management including event planning and coordination, sponsorship activation, ticketing/credentialing, volunteer/charity management, and event operations.
The Community Relations Internship will focus on our volunteer and charity programs. This internship will focus on continuing the development of our volunteer and charity programs.
This candidate will work directly with the Volunteer & Charity Coordinator. This is a paid internship.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Actively recruit volunteers to support the tournament.
• Assist individuals with volunteer registration.
• Updates training decks and orders supplies for Volunteer Committee Chairs.
• Assist Volunteer Coordinator with meetings, credential/uniform packaging, and uniform distribution.
• Work closely with VC on planning the volunteer appreciation party and procure raffle items.
• Manage volunteer meals during tournament week with Volunteer Coordinator.
• Enter charity donations into the Trust Event portal.
• Manage charity load in/out during tournament week.
• Ship Birdies for Charity donation items to donors.
• This role requires the use of our volunteer/charity platform, Trust Event Solutions. Training will be provided.
• Assist VC with donation tax letters after the tournament.
• Assist with post tournament needs.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
This internship also includes the opportunity to work collaboratively with other Texas Children's Houston Open departments, such as Operations, Ticketing, Sponsorship, and Retail.
Education and/or Experience & Skills:
• At least Junior level college/university student or graduate student enrolled in a related field (Sports Management, PGA Management, Hospitality, Business Management) between January & May
• Reside or willing to move to/near the Houston, Texas area from January 8-May 10, 2024, at your own expense.
• Have a valid drivers license and reliable transportation to commute to Memorial Park Golf Course office and to offsite locations.
• Must have a desire to gain experience in a professional sports and entertainment environment.
• Have strong, interpersonal skills that complement a proactive, solution driven, team-oriented work ethic.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously.
• Comfortable making phone calls and meeting with clients/vendors/volunteers/non-profits.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint) and internet software.
• Ability to maintain discretion concerning confidential information.
• Knowledge of golf and golf events is not a requirement but a plus.
This job operates in a clerical, office setting, as well as, physically on the golf course. This job will be expected to work indoor and outdoor in moderate weather conditions (wind, rain, warm, heat, etc.). This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopier.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Ability to lift, carry, and move items weighing up to 50lbs. Ability to sit for long periods of time, hear, see, and touch. Ability to walk long distances and/or stand for long periods of time.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Occasionally must work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required throughout the period of employment, but especially in the three weeks prior to and the week of the Texas Childrens' Houston Open. Interns are required to be onsite during tournament week, March 24-March 31, 2024.
Travel is not expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the intern for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjyem0-3-233-221-90-42 in your application.