Summer Intern - CBS Sports Video Software Engineer
Remote / Virtual
Summer 2021 Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Intern
CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 280 million people visiting its properties each month, CBS Interactive is a top Web property globally. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com, TVGuide.com and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.
MaxPreps is America's largest sports media company devoted exclusively to the coverage of high school sports. Dominating the space in coverage of the hard-earned achievements of student-athletes across the nation. We strive to serve team communities and showcase accomplishments of athletes to families, colleagues, and fans.
MaxPreps is looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented QA Automation Intern to add to our Engineering Team for Summer 2021! This is a tremendous opportunity to make a real impact on the most cutting-edge sports applications in the industry. Responsibilities include evaluating and testing new or modified software programs according to user requirements and established guidelines. Candidates must exercise considerable initiative and demonstrate a high degree of analysis and good judgment in making recommendations to improve systems. This position requires the ability to work on several assignments simultaneously with a very strong attention to detail.
• At the core, the candidate must have a passion for cultivating a flawless product. QA is the last line of defense before a product goes to market, and is an essential step in the development process. Testing comes in the form of meeting product guidelines, but also thinking about how the user experiences our products. Is the product functioning correctly across all platforms? Is it well designed and easy to use? What edge cases should we test for?
• The candidate will learn how to create and execute automated test cases as well as document and report product defects found during the testing process.
• The candidate will closely shadow the Technical Managers and Product Managers, attend regular meetings and interact with developers and other members of the development team.
• On-the-job training and continual support will be provided, allowing the candidate to become familiar with the many products, platforms and processes operating at MaxPreps.
• The Technical Managers will work with the candidate to establish goals and create a detailed project plan with meaningful work to accomplish those goals.
• The candidate will receive training on our company structure and how the QA Automation Intern role fits into the development process and overall business.
• The Technical and Product Managers will be readily available to answer questions and offer regular feedback throughout the internship.
• Work cross-functionally with key parties from product and programming teams to evaluate key system problems, impact from feature releases, and understand potential bottlenecks in our software delivery lifecycle (SDLC).
• Attend Daily Scrum meetings to identify what QA is needed to deliver quality product and users experiences in a timely manner.
• Design new tools and maintain an existing suite of toolsets, integrate them with various systems through collaboration with engineering teams
• Design new automated tests and procedures - expanding existing test suites
• Maintain and expand existing set of performance monitoring
• Build cool new Bots to detect issues to help improve data quality
• Enhance Bots to alert when they detect real problems
• This is a paid internship and can also be for university credit if it meets your university's guidelines
What you bring to the team:
You have -
• Knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes.
• Familiar with GIT or similar source control tools
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Currently working towards a Bachelor's in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent engineering field
• Must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment and quickly shift priorities
• Proficient with various computer applications and web browsers, including but not limited to Google Docs, Microsoft Office, top social media platforms and mobile web.
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
You might also have -
• Knowledge of Selenium, Jenkins, jMeter or any other scripting languages.
• Sports background is valuable, but not required.
• Intern must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college, university or bootcamp
• Must be at least 18 years old
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of ViacomCBS as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry.