Orlando, FL US
The ideal candidate will be responsible for identifying and setting up news stories, coordinating reporters, and field crews. Providing status of coverage to management will be critical, as well as establishing a network of contacts and sources across the Orlando DMA. Coordinating day-to-day assignments.
• The Assignment Editor is responsible for arranging and coordinating news content. This position will report to the Assistant News Director.
• Schedule stories for future newscasts and segments.
• Break stories, work contacts and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news. Gather information for newscasts, set up stories in advance and assist newscast producer in all aspects of the show.
• Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news.
• Enterprise story ideas and work with reporters and producers to develop stories. Conceive and execute news coverage and make front line editorial decisions on a story-by-story basis. Develop story ideas and clearly articulate them.
• Participate in daily planning meetings. Coordinate with other departments to complete stories and projects. Create and coordinate short-range planning to meet department editorial goals
• Facilitate the news gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories. Dispatch crews and information in a timely and organized manner. Coordinate reporters, photographers, and other personnel to cover stories.
• Set up and coordinate live remotes inside and outside the building. Multi-task and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
• Monitor journalistic and editorial elements of newsgathering in the field. Communicate with production staff on the status of coverage and stories. Coordinate reporters, field crews, and assignment desk staff. Communicate with production staff and management on the status of coverage and stories. Coordinate with other Assignment Editors and the Managing Editor for carry-over of stories from day to day.
• Monitor blogs, social media, and area papers for potential stories. Compile a list of possible stories to be followed up on by news staff.
• Develop and cultivate contacts within the community for news stories. Establish network of contacts and sources across the New York area. Cooperate with and support NBC News, Newschannel and other NBC Owned stations.
• Coordinate with NBCNewYork.com editors to break stories online and update news articles as information changes.
• At least 2 years' experience as an Assignment Editor
• Ability to work on weekends and holidays
• Must be willing to work in Orlando, FL
• Must be fluent in Spanish (speak, read & write)
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Ability to react quickly and urgently to breaking news
• Great phone etiquette, organizational skills, news judgment
• Strong English, reading, writing and speaking
• Good overall knowledge of Central Florida and Hispanic community
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site