R&D Engineer - Image-Based Capture
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Senior Effects TD operates independently to generate FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects.
The Senior Effects TD is responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
• Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems.
• Light complex/multiple elements; communicates status of shots to supervisors and Production.
• Provides accurate time estimates for shotwork.
• Responsible for handing off elements to other departments i.e. comp and rendering teams.
• Presents shot work in dailies; attend dailies and other department meetings.
• Mentor junior effects artists.
• Data management of shots including clean up.
• Special projects as needed.
Education / Experience
• At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR , at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
• Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye
• Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
• Production pipeline experience
• Strong communication and follow-through
• Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
• Experience with either Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, or similar software
• Basic understanding of the physics of simulation
• Linux and scripting ability in Python
• Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions
Lucasfilm is among the world’s leading entertainment service companies, a pioneer in visual effects and sound across multiple mediums, and is home to the legendary Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site