Senior Editor, Health
Los Angeles, CA
We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
What part will you play?
We are looking for a talented data and visual journalist who will pitch, edit, and execute reporting focused on CNN Digital's coverage of race in America and policing. The journalist will be part of the Visual News team and partner closely with the CNN beat leader, editors and writers to break news and cover stories and conversations around race - the struggles, the progress and the triumphs happening across the country. They will help us find, report on, analyze and visualize data around important themes of inequality, education, economy, health care, culture and more.
Applicants for this position should have significant experience reporting, analyzing and visualizing stories about this complicated and intersectional topic. This is a position where you will be expected to pitch and develop your own stories as well as collaborate with others to create high impact visual and data-driven journalism.
What will you be doing?
Pitch, edit and report data-driven stories, focused on the race beat, as well as the policing beat
Partner with other editors and reporters on CNN's race and policing beats to brainstorm visual/data coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning.
Plan proactively and identify strong data and graphics opportunities
Help edit and execute data visuals for daily, long-form, and breaking news, including maps, charts, and graphics.
Identify FOIA targets and cultivate strong sourcing for data related to the beat
Review data, analyses, stories, visualizations, scripts and graphics to ensure they uphold rigorous standards.
Work closely with Visual News teammates to document your work, open source data when relevant, and participate in skill-sharing
What do we need from you?
• At least 3 years of newsroom experience or comparable data/visualization experience
• Extensive experience working with data related to race and inequality in America and a strong familiarity with Census data
• Experience with filing and doggedly pursuing FOIA requests
• A desire to push storytelling forward and the ability to think creatively about how we use data in the service of journalism. You put the journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
• You are a varsity level communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do working closely with colleagues to edit data visualization
• A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
• You're comfortable working collaboratively, individually and with cross-functional teams
• Strong data collecting, cleaning and analysis skills, and significant experience using the relevant tools (R, Python, SQL, Excel, etc.)
• Familiarity with the command line and Git
• Familiarity with modern mapping tools (Arc, QGIS, MapBox, Maps4News, etc.)
If you don't have every one of these skills, that's OK. We want to hear from candidates who are passionate about this work and could bring their vision and ideas to the role.
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site