Vancouver, BC CA
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Industrial Light & Magic (Vancouver) Inc., located in Vancouver, BC, the Digital Paint Artist (TV) restores background plates and creates digital articulate mattes.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Demonstrates a strong eye for color and grain structures with the ability to match saturation, hues and black points from multiple sources to create a cohesive final montage.
• Able to break shots down into individual components with little supervision.
• Easily assimilates feedback given by supervisors.
• Researches appropriate references including continuity with like shots. Proactively shares this information with team.
• Demonstrates a keen eye for recognizing paint artifacts, sharpness and color issues.
• Able to handle complex shots with heavy motion blur, lots of layers, etc.
• Ability to use a combination of techniques when dealing with tricky wire removals and clean plates.
• Demonstrates a basic ability to do “paint on comp” work to a high level of quality.
• Working knowledge of color correction and Grain pipeline in Nuke.
• Ability to use layout and DM cameras in Nuke.
• Ability to export track points between multiple toolsets.
• Working knowledge of stereo compositing pipeline.
• Demonstrates excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Takes ownership and responsibility of shot. Proactively offers options and finds own solutions for production problems.
• Actively works across departments in shot groups. Provides updates to production and other artists on shot progress.
Reports to the Senior Production Manager (TV) and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Digital Paint Supervisor.
• Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Drawing, Animation or equivalent artistic background and education required.
• Minimum 3 years’ production experience in computer graphics, animation or video.
• Proven track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres.
• Professional experience with Silhouette and Nuke.
• Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television.
• Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins is a plus.
• Python and/or C++ experience a plus.
• Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
• Must have an understanding of how their work fits into the pipeline and its effect on upstream and downstream departments.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
• Adaptability and willingness to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.