Universal Music Group
Woodland Hills, CA
Universal Music Group is currently seeking a Payroll Director to lead and manage all aspects of payroll for 3,500 employees across the United States. The Payroll Director will be responsible for third-party payroll vendor management and management of internal payroll team. Ownership of all payroll processes and procedures including analysis, design & implementation of changes to ensure continuous improvement in accuracy and efficiency, best practice operations, and compliance with company policies.
Candidate must have the ability to provide guidance and strategic insight into payroll process improvements, development of internal payroll team members, and have excellent operational and technical payroll knowledge. This position will work closely with the HR business partner and Employee Experience teams to improve overall processes between payroll, HR and HR Shared Services. This position will also serve as the escalation point for payroll issues. The position will report to VP Global HRIS and Payroll
How you’ll CREATE:
• Oversee payroll processing for multiple states and localities
• Identify, gain consensus, and implement activities to enhance efficiencies and build scale for all payroll operations management of third-party payroll vendor, including a detailed understanding of contractual requirements and ensuring all SLAs are being met.
• Leads and directs staff on all payroll projects including tax audits, worker’s compensation audits, and any other payroll project initiatives
• Works closely with finance partners to ensure timely processing of general ledger activities
• Identify finance reporting needs and provide recommendations on improvements for integration with finance system
• Oversee and coordinate activities around federal and state tax agency audits for multiple payroll companies
• Works with payroll vendor to define requirements for payroll reporting needs
• Builds strong collaborative working relationships with management and employees across multiple business units to deliver value-added payroll services
• Develop a detailed understanding of the client’s business –departments, jobs, structure, and processes
• Ability to secure, maintain and protect confidential employee wage information
• Ensure payroll processing and quality controls are correctly structured to support annual audit activities
• Manage and review payroll team’s processing of bi-weekly, semi-monthly, monthly and ad-hoc payrolls
• Collaborate with internal and external tax resources
Bring your VIBE:
• Understanding of, and experience with, core aspects of Workday payroll module
• Experience integrating Workday payroll with other third-party systems
• Ability to think strategically and manage expectations in a high-touch environment
• Ability to work closely with senior executives on individual payroll needs
• Possess a strong work ethic; self-motivated with a desire to take initiative and look for ways to improve payroll processes and create efficiencies
• 15+ years of experience in payroll operations and managing outsourced and insourced teams
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience working with Workday Payroll
• Deep knowledge of labor and payroll tax laws/regulations
• Strong leadership skills
• Highly adaptable to a fluid and ever-changing work environment
• International payroll experience is preferred
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
• Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, “Gift Week”, Summer Fridays
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance
• Employee Developmental Support
• Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
• Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are Universal Music Group, the world’s leading music company. We are the home for music’s greatest artists, innovators and entrepreneurs.