Sr. Software Engineer - Pipeline
Walt Disney Animation Studios
Join us for an opportunity to experience the art of animation and be a part of Walt Disney Animation Studios. The Talent Development Program is available for emerging artists and offers up to a 12 month paid position at Walt Disney Animation Studios. We offer an immersive Trainee experience, where participants will work under the guidance of a Disney Mentor to develop craft skills while applying them in a real world environment.
The Apprentice Program begins January 2021. Please note, the safety and well-being of our teams is very important to us. We will determine whether this program will be in-person at our Burbank, CA studio or virtual in the coming months based on local state and county ordinance. The deadline for applications is November 8, 2020, 11:59 PM PST.
The Character TD Trainee
The role of a Character TD at Disney Animation includes Rigging, Simulation Setup, and Technical Animation (also known as Creature Dev, Character Finaling, or Character Effects). Each craft is highly collaborative and viewed as both a technical and an artistic role.
As a Character TD Trainee, the first four months of your program are structured to introduce you to the art of Character TD animation, our studio culture, and our production environment. These initial months will showcase the skills and philosophies of our Character TD department while providing you nurturing mentorship with a Disney artist. A four month review provides you with real-time feedback and determines future assignments and promotional opportunities that would bring your skills into real-time production environments.
Am I Eligible To Apply? What We're Looking For:
• 18 years or older
• Emerging artists in the Animation industry OR
• Emerging artists with less than 3 years experience in Rigging/Sim/Technical Animation
• Recent graduates - Degree or equivalent experience
To apply for this position you must upload a resume and a single reel of no longer than 2 minutes that demonstrates your understanding or passion for Anatomy, Rigging, Cloth in Motion, Hair in Motion, Simulation, and/or Tailoring with a reel breakdown. All examples should be in the context of performance and demonstrate your sense of appeal.
Examples of Rigging May Include:
• Multiple rig examples that demonstrate appealing articulation through the motion and performance of a character or item, please do not just wiggle your controls or distort your rig without purpose
• An intuitive, animator-friendly interface for interacting with and posing characters or elements to be animated
• An understanding of anatomy and design principles, realistic and/or stylized
• An understanding of collaboration with animators in the development and use of a rig
• Creative problem solving ability in creation of a rig and addressing animators' needs
Examples of Character Simulation May Include:
• Cloth simulation rigs that demonstrate an understanding of tailoring and fabric quality under a broad range of motion
• Hair simulation rigs that demonstrate an understanding of groom structure and hair texture quality under a broad range of motion
• An intuitive interface for working with simulation rigs
• An understanding of the principles of animation and how they apply to simulation
• An understanding of creating appeal in cloth and hair motion
• Creative problem solving ability
• Examples of art-directed simulations
• Demonstration of real world tailoring and/or hair styling knowledge
Other skills may include:
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment and take direction well
• Working knowledge of CG software such as Maya
• Interest in fashion design software such as Marvelous Designer is a plus
• Scripting in MEL, Python, or C++ is a plus
• Tool development examples
• Knowledge of Linux
• Supplemental fine art portfolio of drawing or sculpture that demonstrates understanding of anatomy, design, cloth in motion and/or hair in motion
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site