Matchmove / Layout Artist
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Layout Supervisor works independently and under the VFX Supervisor as the leader of the layout crew. The Layout Supervisor approves shotwork, advises layout artists on aesthetic changes, and is responsible for the final aesthetic look and accuracy of matchmoves and layout shots sent to the VFX Supervisor. This artist works closely with production to schedule and cast shotwork, bid new or existing shots, and help estimate crewing needs.
The Layout Supervisor mentors artists, teaches show specific training courses, and troubleshoots shots/pipeline issues if the Layout Artist cannot. The Layout Supervisor oversees all outsourced layout work, ensuring that any vendor’s work is held to the same standard as work completed internally or at any ILM facility.
In addition to supervising duties, the Layout Supervisor is responsible for his/her own shotwork. This includes building 3D geometry and maintaining continuity for entire sequences of shots and creating new camera moves based on either existing or synthetic plate photography following the cinematic feel of the project.
• Responsible for the most complex layout and set ups; works independently with minimal supervision
• Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the layout team
• Work with the CG Supervisor and Production Manager to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork
• Gives the layout team technical and aesthetic instruction for a shot or sequence
• Troubleshoot issues related to shotwork or layout pipeline
• Converts background plates to create digital motion files that match the plate photography, including animating any live action character or relative object in the scene
• Generate 2D Compositing elements, while maintaining the accuracy of the camera perspectives
• Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for other departments
• Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
• Create original all CG camera animation
• Reports to the Talent Manager, Matchmove/Layout and works closely with the CG Supervisor.
Education / Experience
• At least eight years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least ten years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
• Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to supervise and mentor a team of artists.
• Work closely with other discipline supervisors, including CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor.
• Responsible for delivering feedback to artists, both constructive and positive.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
• Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
• On set experience
• Background in previz or rough layout a plus
• Advanced knowledge of LINUX, 3DE, Maya, and/or proprietary tracking software.
• Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives