Supervising News Producer
This position will handle the daily planning and demands of the NBC10 Boston Investigative and NBC/Telemundo Consumer unit, along with supporting special projects initiatives for that station and Telemundo Boston and NECN. The job manages the special promotable content other members of the newsroom are tasked with. The job includes projects that fall outside of day-of news including managing political debates, and producing special programming. The role requires excellent news judgment, mastery of legal and editorial standards, the ability to juggle multiple projects and to engage in long-term planning. The successful candidate will also help plan coverage for major events. The successful candidate collaborates well with others, and leads by example. This role will also take on significant responsibility for creating and advancing the triopoly's OTT/streaming initiatives, and must have a digital-first attitude.
• Provide leadership in story selection and execution for the station's investigative team.
• Provide oversight and leadership with the NBC10 Boston & Telemundo Boston Responds unit, the department responsible for engaging with viewers to resolve consumer complaints.
• Coordinate the content and presentation of long-form series and/or special projects pieces
• Coordinate the creation of content specifically for the OTT/streaming platforms under the direction of the Assistant News Director - Streaming
• Share responsibility for determining the composition and flow of all special projects packages, selecting video, writing and copy editing stories. Work closely with producers, anchors, reporters, editors and technical crews to make certain program elements abide by NBC News Standards as well as the overall newsroom strategy.
• Anticipate special news events (and major stories) and create plan for coverage.
• Assist VP of News, Assistant News Director and Managing Editor in managing the day-to-day news operation. Participate in daily planning meetings. Contribute ideas for news programming based on the newsroom strategy.
• Establish and maintain a professional, trained and motivated staff though effective implementation of NBC's performance management process. Work with Assistant News Director to ensure training and coaching is provided for Producers. Facilitate the orientation of new employees. Implement NBC news standards and ensure adhered to while producing news programs.
• Manage a team of photographers, reporters, editors and producers to create compelling content that differentiates NBC's Boston properties from other local television stations in the market.
• Bachelor's Degree
• At least 3 years of related work experience including: Direct responsibility for producing a television news program, or producing special enterprise reports in a television news environment.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights.
• Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
• Must be willing to be on-call on occasional weekends to be responsive to and questions or concerns from employees working those shifts
• Must be willing to work at the station in Needham, MA
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications.
• A background in investigative reporting or producing
• Exposure to and knowledge of investigative reporting techniques and skills
• Prior news management experience
• Experience in the digital space – creating content for digital platforms and experience using a content management platform (CMS)
• Proficient in Dalet
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Team player
• Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Experience delegating, assigning, setting objectives, providing positive feedback and taking corrective action, if necessary
• Prior experience supervising producers, reporters, and other news personnel.
• Demonstrates the ability to manage a staff effectively while under extreme pressure and the ability to react quickly to breaking news situations.
• Skilled in utilizing internal and external resources to accomplish goals.
• Ability to quickly understand and size up opportunity and/or problems and respond with creative ideas and solutions.
• Experience reviewing reporters' scripts.
• Has the ability to conduct performance appraisals.
• Skilled in delivering feedback in order to develop team.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site