At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape one of BioWare's most successful games.
BioWare Austin is looking for a VFX Artist to join the Star Wars™: The Old Republic team to provide stylized visuals that enhance gameplay and exploration crafted by world designers.
• 3+ years of industry experience in VFX on games or related interactive work.
• Familiarity with real-time VFX using particle systems, sprites, and 3D meshes.
• Good command of animation principles and timing.
• Knowledge of 2D and 3D art packages for VFX creation (including experience creating optimized 3D models and textures), game engine workflows for VFX, and revision control systems. Photoshop and 3ds Max preferred. Maya, Houdini, FumeFX, or other dynamic simulation experience a plus.
• Proficiency with open-world gameplay constraints and using visual language to support rewarding player experiences.
• Commitment to learning and familiarizing oneself with technologies, technical concepts, ideas, and problems.
• Craft VFX for the game, including environments, abilities, combat, and cinematic VFX.
• Research and provide creative input to inform and develop VFX solutions.
• Work with the design, environment, and writing teams to support gameplay and story while upholding established art style.
• Work with art leadership and peers to support the game vision, provide/receive feedback, and improve by participating in regular team events such as reviews and scrums, with the goal of creating high-quality VFX.
It is required that you submit a portfolio of your work with your application. You may do so by providing a link or attaching documents to your resume. All portfolios must contain a detailed breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, oversee.
Please provide as many examples of the following as you can:
• MMO experience
• Ability FX (i.e. cast, projectile, impact)
• Cinematic FX
• Environmental FX (i.e. smoke columns, fire, lightning, and explosions)
• Sci-fi or fantasy style preferred
Benefits & Perks:
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match, and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes remarkable people to make world-class games, we offer great compensation packages and a culture that values creativity and individuality.