Producer / Reporter, Race & Culture
Washington, DC US
Are you ready to lead an emerging reporting vertical at ABC News? Are you committed to telling stories of people that are often overlooked and underreported? ABC News Washington is looking for a Coordinating Producer to join our Race & Culture team to help launch and editorially supervise coverage with deeper reporting at the intersection of race, politics and culture. Across the landscape of ABC News programming, the Race & Culture reporting team will guide daily reporting and special coverage in a space that is dynamic and requires closer investigation, delivering breaking news, relevant interviews and incisive investigative reports.
The Coordinating Producer will report to the Washington, DC Bureau Chief.
The Coordinating Producer will lead a dynamic, tight-knit team that works together to bring important news and impactful stories to audiences in an interesting, intelligent way. The Coordinating Producer is responsible for reporting on the beat, managing and developing staff and overseeing multi-platform content created by ABC News' Race & Culture team in Washington. The Coordinating Producer will lead in developing new techniques for telling this beat's stories across all ABC News platforms and will also serve as liaison to senior producers at the broadcasts and digital editors.
• Responsibilities include developing ideas for daily stories on race & culture, managing the editorial process, line producing, and generating new ideas for future content. Candidates must be able to effectively manage story assignments and production in addition to supervising junior staff. Candidates should have a minimum of 8 years' experience in journalism. The ideal candidate will offer creative and innovative ideas for better story-telling as well as have the ability to work under deadline. They will also collaborate with other network shows for joint projects or special features and brainstorm different story angles and ways to increase social media presence. Understanding of digital platforms and social media preferred.
Please apply if you have:
• 8 years of journalism experience;
• Significant reporting experience and sources in the area of Race & Culture
• An established record of producing creative, exclusive stories and strong writing/scripting skills
• The energy and ability to juggle both editorial leadership and staff management;
• Insatiable curiosity - you just have to dig deeper to find the truth;
• Tenacity to pitch and develop the stories you believe in; and
• Experience performing well under pressure - - think breaking news-type situations.
It would also be nice if you are:
• A natural leader - you can inspire teams to bring their ''A'' game;
• An experienced broadcast journalist
• A pro at social media and other digital tools; and
• Motivated: You're the person who can tackle any task – and wants to.
You have a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site