The freelance Assistant Director (AD) in the Technical Production department is responsible for supporting the Show Director in all aspects of production, coordinating all production activities and maintaining the split-second timing for various fast-paced live, live-to-file & APC productions. Please note this is a freelance role.
• Assist the Show Director with show traffic, pre and post production.
• Maintaining constant communication with Master Control, Show Director, Stage Manager as well as the entire production crew pertaining to show flow, all timing and countdown aspects of the show.
• Obtaining all information related to show timing from Producers, Traffic and Master Control. May have to physically time various video file clips and other show elements as needed.
• Play back media through multiple controllers (i.e. Avid Command, EVS MPlay / BEPlay and Grass Valley Dyno) on pertaining shows.
• Insert and remove branding graphics, digital and breakaway cover slates during pertaining show segments and commercial breaks.
• Direct show segments, briefs and other elements in absence of Show Director.
• Learn APC workflow; assist Show Directors with coding pertaining shows and double-checking codes during breaking news scenarios.
• Proficient in Avid iNEWS or other NRCS (Dalet, ENPS, Inception, etc.)
• College Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 3+ years of production experience in a live television environment.
• Must be available to work all shifts, including early mornings, evenings, holidays, weekends, late breaking news and hurricane/disaster recovery emergencies.
• Must be willing to facilitate personnel requirements including late and/or last-minute scheduling changes in a 24/7 production work environment.
• Must be willing to travel as needed, sometimes on short notice.
• Must be well organized, a good motivator and able to think quickly.
• Familiarity with control room automation systems including Sony ELC, Ross Video OverDrive and Grass Valley Ignite.
• Bachelor's degree: Communications, Television Production or related preferred.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of broadcast and production technology.
• Studio and remote production experience.
• Ability to multi-task and react quickly during daily broadcasts.
• Interpersonal and professional communication skills.
• Advanced computer skills and familiarity with Windows operating systems.