Senior UX Designer
Los Angeles, CA US
Senior UX Technical Designer (Apex Legends)
Respawn Entertainment is hiring! Learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We're looking for a Senior UX Technical Designer to create meaningful new experiences for Apex Legends. Reporting to the Design Director, you will develop fun and readable systems, interfaces menus, and more to help create a seamless and enjoyable experience for our players outside of a normal match.
What's it like to be a UX Technical Designer at Respawn?
Day to Day - Our game designers' tasks include developing game design documents, prototyping, iterating, testing, and solving problems. You will work both independently and as part of a team.
You will ideate and create deep systems and compelling UI to drive player engagement and enjoyment outside of normal gameplay. As a member of the design team, you will work closely with artists to envision and execute on the look/feel of menus and UX systems that give players deep progression and strong investment. Features range from improvements to current systems like Ranked, Stats and the Store, to creating new UX systems that have yet to be dreamed of.
- We believe that when talented people have creative freedom and work together they will make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. Our designers are encouraged to bring new ideas to the table, iterate for greatness, scope wisely, and deliver highly polished game designs they are proud of for players to enjoy. As a game designer you will have a direct hand in influencing the shape of the game and a voice when it comes to making the best game possible.
• Collaboration - You will have the opportunity to work independently as well as with a team, as you will collaborate with both your design teammates and other departments to help create the best user experience for the game.
Values - Our game designers are aligned on their values. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They play other studios' games and stay abreast of trends, while also striving to invent and innovate. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff for players. Our leads also make a lot of effort to ensure that our designers work on aspects they are excited about.
• Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. Our game designers own their individual features from conceptualization to shipping. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
• Growth - At Respawn we believe that all of our team members are on a path of professional development, and making progress in that journey is a key component of happiness and satisfaction in one's work. Our team members are encouraged to follow their career interests, while also challenging themselves. To facilitate this, our leads work with each team member to identify areas of strength, and areas of desired development, and whenever possible, assign tasks and projects which will inspire the team member to grow in skill, knowledge, and capability.
What do we look for in UX Technical Designer candidates?
- Design Sensibilities and Insight - Our designers value having discussions with each other to better understand the intentions and level of success in their designs. We'd love for you to be able to articulate why you made the decisions you've made in your own designs - what worked well, what you would change in hindsight, and what you learned. We also value your ability to analyze and break down, from a designer's perspective, the aspects that work well or don't work well in games you've played and why.
- You've Made Stuff You Are Proud Of - Whether it's professional or personal work, we'd like to see features in your portfolio that you developed from concept to finish. We like to see portfolios that showcase strong game design skills - sensibility, gameplay, geo, documents, etc. If your portfolio includes work that you developed as part of a team, we'd like to know the specifics of what you contributed versus what was handled by others.
- Passion - We look for game designers who are highly passionate. Our team is constantly sharing inspiration and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team loves what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience – We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people with a strong sense of design and a keen eye for quality.
- Teamplayer – Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what's best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will work closely with other talented departments that are experts in what they do. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you also will have...
Professional game development experience with at least one shipped title.
Experience working in a game engine, using scripting tools.
A strong attention to detail and the ability to meticulously polish features to a AAA quality.
Experience in rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
Ability to pitch game design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
Self-direction and the ability to work autonomously as well as with a team.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site