Digital Needs Product Gurus
Remote / Virtual
You will be a writer/editor on the CNN National Digital News overnight/weekend breaking news team. The team plays a key role in helping set our national news priorities for morning audiences and in covering some of the biggest breaking news stories of the day for CNN's digital platforms. This hybrid role offers the opportunity to report, write, edit, and have a hand in setting our news priorities. This role is a good fit for the reporter who also aspires to run a small team or have an opportunity to shape news coverage. The role is part of our overnight and weekend National desk. This writer/editor is a best in class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas and a natural collaborator who can work across CNN's news platforms and teams in service of getting the best content to our vast audiences. The writer/editor will report and write breaking news three days a week and oversee national desk assignments two days a week. Applicants should have reporting and editing skills.
• Research and write high-impact breaking news stories, features and enterprise on our overnight desk.
• For two days of your work week, you will oversee assignments and supervise the work of other writers on the team.
• This part of the role involves making relevant assignments to writers on the team.
• The ability to frame, edit and polish stories for clarity and accuracy is a must.
• This writer/editor must be an excellent communicator and diplomat.
• They are excellent providers of feedback who help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
• You must demonstrate a high pace of activity and a deep curiosity about current events.
• This writer/editor should show a high level of flexibility and the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once.
• College degree in journalism is preferred
• 3 or more years of related experience
• Ability to report and produce national looks at key news development
• Ability to write or oversee a fast-breaking news story
• Ability to edit other writers for accuracy and clarity
• Ability to oversee the work of other writers and collaborate with other editors to set our daily news agenda
• An understanding of what it takes to frame and produce stories for a digital audience
• Excellent writing skills
• Excellent news judgment
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands