Full Time Job
Producer / Assignment Desk Editor
- Full Time
WATE 6 On Your Side, the ABC affiliate in Knoxville, Tenn. is looking for a creative Producer/Assignment Desk Editor with the skills, instinct and talent to craft superior newscasts and break news stories. The ideal journalist will be aggressive and versatile with an instinct and drive to win. We are looking for a self-starter who can not only stack a show but can craft a newscast masterpiece each day using solid writing, sound, video and graphic elements. This person will be flexible with schedule and newscast. This person will think outside the box and be a team player. This person should also be a planner with good judgement who can determine daily story assignments and chase down spot news.
• Write solid, active & compelling news copy
• Build strong newscasts using informed news judgment combined with showcasing techniques
• Strategize newscast building based on knowledge of our audience, ratings and history of the area
• Be a stickler for facts, grammar and spelling
• Know the video and write to it
• Make solid decisions and stay in control of the newscast in the booth during breaking news
• Keep up communication with anchors and production throughout newscast
• Communicate with reporters to ensure stories meet the mark for our mission and our viewers
• Be flexible on schedule and newscast
• Be a newsroom leader
• Be open for criticism; always growing
• Request graphics and work with graphics team to ensure completion
• Stay on top of current events & issues that impact the East Tennessee community
• Strong communicator – work with reporters, photographers, producers to determine story selection, elements and backup ideas
Assignment Desk Responsibilities:
• Manages assignment desk staff to find relevant, compelling news content for top-rated daytime and afternoon newscasts
• Leads editorial meetings; decides daily broadcast and digital content, assign crews & manages field crews' workflow and live logistics throughout day
• Works with reporters, photographers, producers to determine story selection, elements and backup ideas
• Keeps team informed of developments throughout day
• Listens to scanners, answers phones and emails, researches and vets out pitches to determine what makes a great story
• Coordinates live shots and content sharing with affiliates,
• Represents and enforces station policy in resolution of situations that may arise
• Maintains various station accounts used by the desk for gathering and confirmation information
• Be involved in long term planning of stories and news events
• Posts stories to station digital platforms and social media sites
What You Need to Have
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Proficient with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Able to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Flexible to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The News Producer must be able to sit, use newsroom software on a computer, conduct telephone conversations, use e-mail & social media for communication, write scripts, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
Qualified applicants may apply online at www.nexstar.tv/careers
All employees must first contact their current manager before applying for an Internal position.
WATENexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.
External Application Page
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site