Chicago, IL US
WMAQ-TV, NBC 5 Chicago has an opportunity for a News Assignment Editor responsible for handling a variety of News assignment desk operations. WMAQ-TV is an owned and operated television station of NBCUniversal in Chicago.
• Coordinate reporters, field photographers and other personnel covering assigned News stories.
• Set up and coordinate live remotes, News stories and series planning working closely with Producers and other News team members and management.
• Develop relationships and work with business partners from external News sources to gather reliable and factual information for News story content.
• Work with reporters and producers to develop News stories and story sidebars, as well as coordinate with other departments to complete stories and projects.
• Create and coordinate short-range planning to meet News department editorial goals.
• Monitor police and emergency scanners as well as electronic and printed sources for News.
• Position currently covers overnight shifts and service the early morning newscasts.
• Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Broadcasting, Journalism or related field
• Minimum 3 years of experience working on a television News Assignment Desk
• Previous work experience requiring organization and research skills.
• Must be able to work weekends and evenings
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
for this position
• Excellent knowledge of Chicago and suburban areas
• Ability to work contacts and sources to break stories
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational and telephone skills
• Strong computer skills
• Strong News judgment and excellent instincts regarding News content
• Ability to react quickly and aggressively in breaking News situations
• Multi-task efficiently; a quick thinker who can handle high-pressure situations on a consistent basis
• Able to work well and contribute within a strong team environment
• Able to work efficiently and productively with initiative and little supervision
• Able to contribute within a strong team environment