Washington, DC US
CNN is seeking an Assistant Managing Editor for the Washington DC bureau.
• Outline reporting priorities across the beats to help sharply frame the big stories of the day and position efforts with an emphasis on anticipating where storylines are headed
• Work with newsroom leadership and beats to conceptualize sharply framed stories and harness reporting across Washington coverage areas for daily stories.
• Bring together reporting in the best possible way working with television and digital journalists in our integrated newsroom, at times taking the lead in writing the overall story
• Drive reporting focused on the why and the how, guiding development of stories from start to finish
• Navigate through the organization to identify and harness reporting from multiple teams in multiple locations
• Develop strong connections with top-notch correspondents
• Coordinate with beats and digital team to make sure the best of the day's reporting is getting showcased on TV and online
• Combine strong editorial development and strong narrative writing skills to shape unique reporting
• Help teams consider approaches, source hunt and priorities for key storylines of the day
• Oversee specific story chase on any given day with team of producers and correspondents from across the DC beats
• Enhance reporters' storytelling style with distinctive voice
• Work with planning staff to coordinate upcoming coverage of developing stories.
• Other duties as assigned in 24/7 work environment
• Report to Vice Presidents of News in Washington.
• Bachelor's degree. Master's or higher degree preferred.
• 10+ years' experience in an editor or reporter role at a traditional or digital native news organization.
• Show a passion for political and Washington news, and embrace the urgency politics demands.
• Sound editorial and social judgment; excellent writing and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure environment, making independent decisions to prioritize reporting.
• Strong management and leadership skills.
• Proven experience for developing audiences across web, mobile web, social accounts. Strong understanding of mobile, apps and social (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
• Strong copyediting skills.
• Understanding of digital and television, and ability to move seamlessly between both.