Columbus, OH US
The Meteorologist forecast weather conditions and produces and anchors weather reports for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
• WRBL-TV a CBS affiliate in Columbus, GA is seeking a Meteorologist (Part-Time, Temporary, as needed) to forecast and present weather information for television newscasts & specials, online, and on social media platforms. The successful candidate will fill-in for one of our full-time meteorologists who is on extended leave.
Duties (including but not limited to):
• Forecast weather conditions and produce & present weather reports for television newscasts, online, and on social media platforms
• Forecast and present severe weather coverage as conditions demand
• Execute Weather Aware coverage plan as established and led by Chief Meteorologist, news managers, and station leadership
• Write and post online forecasts and other stories to station website
• Author posts and interact with fans on station social media platforms
• Author and communicate weather synopsis to fellow meteorologists, station teammates, external media partners, and others, as needed, throughout shift
• Record promotional spots daily to direct fans to sources of weather information on all station platforms
• May be called upon to participate in station community outreach projects
• Job Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, preferred. A combination of strong performance in applicable coursework and professional experience, considered.
• Dynamic, confident, and comfortable presenter, including ability to adlib, from presentation positions at studio desks, chromakey wall, and live in the field
• Fluent in spoken English
• Superior writing skills required
• Work well under pressure --- Ability to handle last-minute changes with aplomb
• Never miss a deadline -- Highly organized and manage time very well
• Professional, collegial demeanor with colleagues and with members of the public
• A hunger to learn, improve, and share the experience with teammates
• Strong, candid knowledge of self and your capabilities
• Open to coaching and willingness to take action on professional critique
• Follow station policies and guidelines and take direction from Chief Meteorologist and News Managers.
• Ability to make independent decisions during shift which involve co-workers and impact coverage
• Sense of urgency and driven to dominate competitors
• Technical Skills:
• Strong working knowledge of IBM / WSI Weather Max forecasting & presentation computers and software programs
• Confident in working with other computer systems and software utilized to forecast and present weather information
• Familiarity with AP ENPS rundown and story management system, preferred. Ability to quickly master this television scripting and rundown program, accepted.
• Superior writing skills and mastery of AP writing style for the authoring of on air, digital, and social content
• Strong working knowledge of and ability to use WordPress to publish articles to station website
• Ability to quickly master and maintain professional standards related to content creation, i.e. avoid libel, slander, & plagiarism and follow copyright & licensing practices in the publication and sharing of written material, video, pictures, etc.
• Strong working knowledge of social media platforms publishing tools
• Ability to quickly become proficient with Social News Desk and Social Dialogue and use these software programs to maintain a voluminous posting schedule daily, during Weather Aware days and when it's sunny
• Capable with basic non-linear video editing. Familiarity with Adobe Premiere video editing software, preferred.
• Ability to confidently and safely operate a motor vehicle
• Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Meteorologist must be able to
• Stand for extended periods during coverage of active weather
• Work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
• Work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions
• Lift, set up, and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds
• Handle, control or feel objects, tools, or controls. Repetitive movements are required.
• Work Schedule: As Assigned
• Availability to work a set part-time schedule
• Willingness and ability to work additional hours past regularly scheduled shift during severe weather and Weather Aware days
• Willingness to regularly pick up extra shifts
• Note: This job description contains basic requirements for this position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
PT Benefits include: Employee Assistance Program and 401k
We require a Background and MVR Check to obtain this position.
EOE/ Minorities/ Females/ Veterans/ Disabled
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position you must apply online via
the Nexstar Media Group Career Portal.
Remember you must Attach a Resume with a Link to your Demo Reel.
Nexstar-Careers First Time Users must create an Account.
Please use the Job Link below.
The application for this position is hosted at the Employer's site. Click on the button below to open the application page in a new tab in your browser.Apply at Employer's Site